Shrub/tree for a pot.

• 8 Replies

Eblana

Shrub/tree for a pot.
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:54 »
Hi all, Archie my boxer pup has struck again!  I had a fig tree in a large pot which was sitting in front of a south facing red brick wall.  The other day Archie decided that it looked tasty and literally ate it down to a three inch stump.  Although it was about 5 years old it had never produced any figs and never really put any growth on either.  I will leave replacing it until Archie has stopped chewing but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on something else I could try instead either ornamental or productive.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Shrub/tree for a pot.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:01 »
Would prickly plants deter Archie i.e gooseberries, japonica, rasperries etc. ? I would wait until you have found a way to save plants from Archie, even if you have some sort of guard around them so he can't get close enough to completely destroy  :) Good luck  :)

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13 »
I will probably leave replacing it until next year.  He is being neutered tomorrow  and we are creating a dog run for him for when I have to leave him unattended hopefully he will settle a bit shortly.  The fig was a focal point in the garden so I would like to replace it with something that would be attractive to look at.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16 »
Quince trees are beautiful in bloom, and nice added to apple in pies/puddings. There is a very dwarf variety for pots.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 19:48 »
Quince trees are beautiful in bloom, and nice added to apple in pies/puddings. There is a very dwarf variety for pots.

Ooh didn't know you can get a dwarf one, might look into that.

What about an Acer,very decorative, or I like Crinoodendron hookeri an evergreen shrub with lovely lantern flowers
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 19:56 »
I have a small Acer in another pot but the colour doesn't work with the red brick.  I will look into the dwarf quince and the Crinoodendron.  My husband has suggested an Olive what do you think?

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 20:03 »
Acres aren't all red, there are lovely green ones too, olives are nice but seem to be very slow & a rat hey untidy habit I've found

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 20:05 »
I will have a look at the green acres as well.  Not wild about the Olive idea myself

catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 21:03 »
I'd just like to speak up in favour of the olive tree - tough as old boots, won't outgrow the pot, evergreen , scented flowers, with luck an olive or two, and they take pruning into shape extremely well. They are not that slow growing , my last one in the ground 5 years ago has grown about 90 sms in that time.  I'll get my coat now!

xx
Shrub / Tree ID

Started by Aunt Sally on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 17:36
by sunshineband
xx
A good Shrub and Tree Book

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 16:18
by garddwr
clip
shrub

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 12:23
by New shoot
question
What shrub is this please?

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 18:39
by Lesleyk

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 39 queries.