Sweetcorn advice needed.

• 6 Replies

Paul Rhodes

Sweetcorn advice needed.
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:14 »
Going to be planting sweetcorn this summer. I have 2 different types, can these be planted in close proximity of each other or do they have to be completely separate, as cross pollination isn't an ideal scenario?

Edited to correct typo in title for search purposes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:30 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Sweetcoen advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:18 »
I did what you are suggesting, in naivity, and had inedible corn  :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Gandan57

Re: Sweetcorn advice needed.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33 »
The only way around this problem is to stagger the seed sowing. try to establish which is the earlier variety and start these seeds a few weeks before the other.

I was given two different sweet corn packets last year and and they will be grown near to each other but with different sowing times. I have Swift and Equinox, so the Swift will be sown early April and the Equinox on 1st May.

Last year two adjoining plotholders grew sweetcorn within perhaps 15 yards of mine with no obvious flavour problems.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27 »
I know it sounds tedious, but in my own nerdy was it's one of  my favourite jobs... I pollinate my sweetcorn myself. Well, not actually myself  ;) but you know what I mean. I have a little piece of thin cardboard that I've folded in the middle so it's a V shape. Then every day I tap the flowers at the top a little & hold the cardboard underneath to catch the pollen. Then I go to the next plant and gently blow that collected pollen onto the tassles. So as long as you remember which ones are which you could plant them a little apart from each other so the wind doesn't do its job and then pollinate the right ones yourself. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37 »
Sweetcorn is self-fertile, so really there is no need to go to such lengths. Just rub your hand on the tassels at the top of the plants and then over the silks on the cobs. Job done! (You've confused the silks with tassels!).

It still won't prevent the wind from doing it's job and if you do grow more than one variety, to be certain you have to grow them a very long way apart.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:38 by DD. »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53 »
If it's windy at pollen producing time I just let them get on with it, if it's very still I give them a nudge with a stick (they have string around and through the block of plants to help hold them up so if you shake one you've pretty much shaken them all!)

The pollen is very light and can travel a long way when it's windy - that's the problem with growing different varieties close to each other and you can't do much about windy weather.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:55 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
sweetcorn advice needed

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2016, 00:30
by Annen
xx
sweetcorn advice needed please

Started by themagicaltoad1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 19:05
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Sweetcorn Advice

Started by Avocetboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 20:04
by Avocetboy
xx
sweetcorn advice please

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 11:09
by DD.

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 40 queries.