Ex bat prices in lincolnshire?

• 11 Replies

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Ex bat prices in lincolnshire?
« on: May 02, 2010, 17:26 »
How much would ex bat chooks cost me roughly in lincolnshire? anyone know  :blink: or the best place to get some?
Want ex bats so i can give them a decent retirement really and not too worried about egg laying ability as such (would be a bonus though) Still got some research and design the coop so not in no hurry but the advice of the experienced mums on here would be great  :tongue2:

Ta Lee

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Ex bat prices in lincolnshire?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 17:51 »
I couldn't find any in Lincolnshire so had to travel to Norfolk. I do know that little hen rescue will be looking at rehoming some ex-batts later on this month.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 22:41 »
I got mine from battery hen welfare trust, not sure if they have any rehomers in your area though.  they just ask for a donation.
I gave £20 and rehomes 8.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 22:56 »
We got our ex batts from John the Lincolnshire co-ordinator for the BHWT.  He's at Wragby.  but on looking at their website, these 2 people are now the co-ordinators for Lincs.

Gaynor Davies

Mon - Fri 12 noon - 4.30pm
   01769 580310

Charly Barker
   Mon - Thurs 6pm - 9pm & Sat & Sun 12 – 4pm
   01427 679437

When we got our ex batts in 2004 they charged 50p each for them, but prices vary I think depending on the region.

TeaPots

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 22:57 »
I am sorry, but in my opinion it is not about cost. Eiter you want to rescue some of these poor girls or you dont. They will cover their costs at least twofold in eggs, and tenfold in gratitude and entertainment. If you want a bargain, maybe look out for some hybrids, as you just CANNOT put a price on ex batts. They need more attention, high quality feed, supplements and medicines sometimes...and a really NOT for beginners.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 17:41 »
I am sorry, but in my opinion it is not about cost. Eiter you want to rescue some of these poor girls or you dont. They will cover their costs at least twofold in eggs, and tenfold in gratitude and entertainment. If you want a bargain, maybe look out for some hybrids, as you just CANNOT put a price on ex batts. They need more attention, high quality feed, supplements and medicines sometimes...and a really NOT for beginners.

I think that's a very fair comment.  They shouldn't be considered as a 'cheap' option.  And it is important to understand that they might come with problems, and no eggs :(.  So you do need to be pretty keen to take them on.  It's best of everything for my girls and no pay back required. :D  Though of course I get payback in all sorts of ways.

Like Manlee, I liked the idea of rehoming needy crits. and like Manlee, I was a complete beginner.  Sorry Teapots!! but we've all got to start somewhere!

The thing is, that with ex batt rehoming, you do have the benefit of the advice and backup of the rehoming charity.  I knew the BHWT would be there if I had any problems.  And of course, the support and advice from peeps on here has been wonderful.  And as you can see from my separate post ..... didn't we do well!

Do lots of research Manlee, and visit as many set ups as you can.  It helps to be an 'informed' beginner :D

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 18:43 »
I understand they are not really for beginners but its the moral with me,not looking for a bargain as its be suggested  ??? but a rough idea on cost,my plan is to spend this year learning and reading and next year building my own coop as i have the skills and when im totally prepared then ill get some ex bats  :D

Lee

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 19:19 »
I think the average asking donation is £2.50 per bird, but I gave £5.00 to help cover their costs and to help look after any that don't get new homes  :)

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 19:55 »
I dont think exbatts are a problem for beginners, in fact I think its a great way to get into chicken keeping as long as you are well read, have support ie all the great people on here and are prepared for what may happen with them.

My first 3 girls were exbatts and they had a great time until the incident last week with the fox.  Now the run was well prepared with a great coop but the fox tunneled 6 ft to get in!   So a hard lesson was learnt for me there and a harder one for my chickens.

I now have the confidence with what I have learnt over the last few months to get a flock of 8 birds, 4 exbatts and 4 12 week old warrens. 

Anyone who is willing to give those poor exbatts some decent life instead of them ending up as pet food is a hero in my books.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 22:14 »
I think the average asking donation is £2.50 per bird, but I gave £5.00 to help cover their costs and to help look after any that don't get new homes  :)

Thanks for that info  :) Only going to have 3 or 4 girls at first with a coop fit for a queen so £30 ish should cover that aspect of the planning  :D

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 00:05 »

I think that's a very fair comment.  They shouldn't be considered as a 'cheap' option.  And it is important to understand that they might come with problems, and no eggs :(.  So you do need to be pretty keen to take them on.  It's best of everything for my girls and no pay back required. :D  Though of course I get payback in all sorts of ways.

Do lots of research Manlee, and visit as many set ups as you can.  It helps to be an 'informed' beginner :D

my first were hybrids, but after less than 6 months, i rescued 6 girls too, Sadly not all of them made it, and it was heartbreaking enough for me to nearly give up chicken-keeping altogether.

I now try to rescue a few every year, then find them forever homes once they are all fat and feathered and friendly.  Good luck..we are all here to offer advice and comforting. But do remember, Ex batts have a particular hot-line to the very middle of your heart.  :D  You have to be prepared is all.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 14:00 »
just heard from norfolkhedgehogrescue and she is organising her second rescue but at the moment her prices haven't been set as she is waiting for the farmer to get back to her.

xx
Where to collect eggs in Lincolnshire

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 17:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
chickens for sale in lincolnshire

Started by scousercookie on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 22, 2014, 04:49
by BabbyAnn
xx
Chicken thefts Lincolnshire

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 08:42
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 39 queries.