• 3 Replies

smoggynal

« on: March 01, 2011, 21:02 »
Hello,

I am new to the site but also new to gardening and have just got myself an allotment so my kids can have real, fresh food not sprayed with chemicals so I will try and learn the best things to plant and when ETC.
another reason is my kids over the last few month have been pecking my head (pardon the pun) about wanting chickens! the allotment I have acquired has a pig shed on perfect to house chickens once the roof has been repaired but what chickens provide the best results with bigger eggs on a more constant basis? once my garden is cleaned as it appears to have been used as a tipping site i will be asking questions about what is the best brands/strains of spuds etc

Kind Regards
Smoggy

PS, best breeders near Middlesbrough????

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 22:14 »
There's masses of info on here about how to make sure your chicken house is the best possible for chickens and for the humans who have to keep it clean.

I spent months reading the current and old threads on this forum - Chat, Hen House and the FAQs to get a feel for what to expect & what I would need to provide, to ensure I got off to a flying start (!).

Time to get the kids who want the chickens to do the research on how to keep them!!
ManicMum

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:54 »
Hi,

You asked what chickens supply bigger eggs on a constant basis. The nearest you can get to this is by ignoring pure breed chickens and going for a hybrid such as any type of Ranger, Warren or ISA Brown. Look on this website for a list of breeders/agents near you. Expect to pay between £10 to £15 per bird.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 14:06 »
If you want regular eggs then go for a hybrid. They will lay everyday even through the winter time. There are so many different breeds to choose from. Try to go around and look at different breeds amd ask questions also do some research before you get any chickens.

xx

Started by tez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 11:25
by tez
xx
A newbie!

Started by Mrs.Tweedy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 18:17
by Jellyhead
xx

Started by l.bailey on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:56
by l.bailey
xx
Hi all - Newbie who needs some help!

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 17:04
by Chookster

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 34 queries.