Another newbie

• 2 Replies

Kev Coleman

• In Dorset, yes I do
Another newbie
« on: November 25, 2020, 23:02 »
Dear all,
Since recently buying our first family home in the country (I am Dorset born and bred) We’re keen to get some chickens, truth be told more as pets.
We have a young son so very mindful of which breed to buy.
- Average egg layer, friendly, ideally not a flighty bird or an overly loud bird and finally ones that enjoy being handled.
I’ve done my homework but would be interested to see you any reply’s match my choices.
Many thanks,
Kev.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 11:22 »
I have bantam wyandottes and orpingdons. They are both decent layers and pretty friendly.  Mine don’t like being handled, but then I have never picked them up unless I was checking them.

From what others have said on here, ex-batts are very friendly and will rapidly attach themselves to you.  They probably think you are wonderful after the life they have had.  They still lay for a while.

If you are buying young birds, just have your wits about you.  There was a massive surge in interest in chicken keeping over lockdown and a lot of backyard breeders sprung up.  From what I have seen on line, there are a lot of overpriced birds being sold and very young, so I am sure there are males in the mix. I would also have a good look at how stock is being kept.  If you see dirty, smelly set-ups and scruffy looking birds, walk away.

grinling

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 19:50 »
My birds have never really enjoyed being handled, but Mavis,  a copper maran, was very good.
Hens are quiet unless, laying, or startled.
The Haynes manual is good for different breeds, As well as seeing living conditions also make sure there are no turkeys.
If you know someone with an incubator or a broody, you could try autosex breeds. Do not be tempted to keep a cockerel.
Get the run area set up, so it is dry and predator proof.

xx

Started by smoggynal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 14:06
by Jeanette
xx

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 11:27
by chickadee
xx
Newbie... Need help

Started by Vixen218 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 17:38
by Tony H
xx

Started by Janschooks on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 08:56
by Foxy

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.