Putting the mower away - or not...

• 43 Replies

Growster...

Putting the mower away - or not...
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:28 »
Anyone thinking of stopping mowing yet?

I was in two minds this weekend, but there's still quite a lot of grass at the moment.

Finally gave in yesterday, and did the lot...

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Re: Putting the mower away - or not...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:36 »
i havent stopped scarifying lawns the past two weeks lol

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52 »
I am still scarifying too!(Only a week so far!). I have been debating whether to give it another cut again after or whether to leave it. I hate long grass and cause myself no end of work by cutting too short. The thought of looking at untidy grass all winter is not good, however, I know that it would be better for it. Still I have a cunning plan - my borders get bigger each year! Less grass to look after! :)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:37 »
I sold my electric scarifier, for better or worse, as I never seemed to use it very much...

It used to rip great lumps out a bit where we have some 'Mind your own business' invading!

Perhaps it needs to be left a little longer than normal during the winter, but I agree with you that an untidy lawn over the winter just isn't really good enough is it!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 14:24 »
My mower stays out until the leaves finish falling, then we attach the bagger and 'mow' the leaves. The mower shoots up the dry leaves, breaks them up, and literally cleans up the grass for us rather than raking. The contents then get dumped into either the compost bin or on the veg gardens.

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 17:12 »
I sold my electric scarifier, for better or worse, as I never seemed to use it very much...

It used to rip great lumps out a bit where we have some 'Mind your own business' invading!

Perhaps it needs to be left a little longer than normal during the winter, but I agree with you that an untidy lawn over the winter just isn't really good enough is it!

Electric!? Oh no! no! I do it the hard way with a rake and fork! That is why it takes so long! But it is very good for your abs! And it gets you so warm you don't need the heating on. Practical, economical and very green! :nowink:

My mower stays out until the leaves finish falling, then we attach the bagger and 'mow' the leaves. The mower shoots up the dry leaves, breaks them up, and literally cleans up the grass for us rather than raking. The contents then get dumped into either the compost bin or on the veg gardens.
Bet that makes lovely compost! :)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 20:07 »
It's incredible stuff because it's mostly broken up and decomposes fast over winter.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 20:10 »
I reckon about two more cuts and it'll hibernation time for the old mower, after a damn good service of course!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 20:43 »

A great idea... Thank you :)
(Added to my 'to do' list :))

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 05:56 »
I usually spend 20 mins strimming on the Plot n' Patch a couple of times a week, and only yesterday thought that I was winning the race...

As for home, Trills has the right idea and the leaves make great compost!

We have a squillion-year-old yew tree behind us, which drops Grape Nuts all over the garden each year, so I hope the new mower will take those up as well...

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20 »
Ive got the mountfield elect scarifyer, it only comes out this time of year but well worth the money, im a gardener for my living and the lawns ive been doing....one house has 700 sq mtrs of luxury lawn full of moss, onther i just done was 400 sq mtrs and had about 1 1/2 to 2" of moss in it, looks terrible now but i know next year it'll look fab.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 09:49 »
Mowed yesterday (or at least my OH did!), as for scarifying - no... I haven't scarified, I don't have the time!

I'm hoping it'll be the last mow of the year!

Hannah :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:13 »
Like Trillium, our last "mow" at the weekend was less of a mow and more of a lawn vac.  the grass has almost stopped growing, but we have a large willow tree which is shedding leaves madly now.  The mower is by far the best way of picking them up and shredding them ready to be tipped straight into the leaf mould store, so our mower is not getting put away for the winter just yet.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 14:24 »
You have been able to MOW???? My lawn hasn't dried out on the top for ages, never mind the bottom. It's grown up to my ankles and I can hear it squelch if I walk on it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 19:03 »
I always try and cut the lawns and paths during the winter, when the weather allows it.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 36 queries.