Black Hamburg grape help

• 9 Replies

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
Black Hamburg grape help
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:30 »
Does anyone else have one of these outside, if so what's it doing now?

We live in a sheltered spot in Hampshire. About this time last year we planted a vine in a spot about a metre from the house, against a woven wicker partition. It's sheltered from the wind, warm, possibly a bit light on rain but we have been watering throughout last summer and again since the warm weather started. It flourished. It dropped its leaves in the autumn, which I guess is perfectly normal, and since then we've been waiting in vain for signs of life. Currently it looks just the same as it's done all winter.

Is this normal? Is it likely to regrow or is it more likely to be a casualty of the winter?

If we need to replant, any suggestions welcomed. We're looking for something to grow across an series of wooden arches screening of the parking area (gosh, that sounds grand, really we just want to hide the scruffy unwashed cars!) and we'd prefer isomething fruitful, though that's not essential.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Black Hamburg grape help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 14:34 »
Some grapes have a very late bud burst (even in the med) , so I wouldn't give up hope for a while yet ;)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 14:40 »
I agree. My grapes are the very last things to sprout, and my weather is warmer than yours.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 14:49 »
Mine in my greenhouse was late to bud and start into growth this year. I would look closely to see if there is any sign of buds which there should be about now. If there aren't try scraping a little of the bark back with a thumb nail to see if there is life (greeness) underneath.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 17:52 »
Many thanks, I'll wait patiently then!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 19:53 »
I have a Black Hamburg in the greenhouse. haven't looked closely, but haven't seem any sign of life yet

Auntie Rain

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:26 »
I have three of these vines and all are growing away strongly.... They have been given only water, so I am not sure why all the previous posts are saying no growth.....

I have mine in pots in an open glasshouse, but other than that they get no special treatment.....

I took many hardwood cuttings last autumn and put them into a nursery bed on my lotty. There is nothing moving there, I think I may need to try again this autumn.... (Advice welcome)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07 »
I am not sure why all the previous posts are saying no growth.....

Mine is always the last thing in the garden into leaf, so I'm not worried as such. Surprised that yours are in leaf as you are in East Anglia too, but that's gardening I suppose! Our ash trees broke bud about the same time as the Oaks, but that was weeks ago and the leaves are certainly not fully open yet, and the Wisteria is only just in flower, but elsewhere I have been those things are ahead of us

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:59 »
Had a look at mine more closely this morning. Definitely no growth, but the buds are fattening. It is planted outside, with the stem coming in through a hole in the glass ... so that may be a difference to any that are planted inside a greenhouse, and have warm roots.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 11:31 »
Mine is grown IN the greenhouse with the roots OUTSIDE. That was how I was advised to plant it, I never need to worry about watering it that way. I have to add that it was planted at the time I got the greenhouse so made it easier to plant that way.

xx
Black Hamburg grape vine

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 20:52
by mdjlucan
xx
Hamburg Parsley

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 17:53
by realfood
xx
Hamburg parsley...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:17
by Growster...
xx
Hamburg Parsley

Started by silver8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 08, 2006, 16:23
by silver8

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 34 queries.