Rudbeckia problem

• 2 Replies

seanandde

Rudbeckia problem
« on: April 22, 2011, 00:44 »
I planted two fairly big (by pot size) perennial Rudbeckia a fortnight ago that have - or had - a lot of leafy growth.  Really disappointed to notice today that something is having a serious munch on them and has all but stripped the newer growth and smaller parts of the taller/older foliage.

I've looked all over both plants/the surrounding area but can't find the culprits.  I've never had Rudbeckia in the garden; is it likely to be slugs (though other slug prone plants in my garden are completely untouched so far) or do Rudbeckia's have another typical pest that tends to eat them?

Many thanks.

Trillium

Re: Rudbeckia problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:14 »
Rudbeckia's hairy leaves repel most pests, even deer. But young leaves are a treat for deer, and possibly rabbits. I've never heard of slugs ever bothering rudbeckia due to the rough leaves. Sometimes you might get aphids sucking the stems but I don't think they'd cause the damage you have.

I'd move the pots higher for a while to let the plants recover and toughen up their leaves. Also keep an eye open for anything coming near it. My cat will sometimes snack on any tender leaves of flowers.

seanandde

Re: Rudbeckia problem
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52 »
I hope the plants have been correctly labelled then as these don't have hairy leaves :(   I'm at a bit of loss, going on what you said, as to what's eating them.  The garden does back onto farmlamd but I've never seen rabbits in the garden and nothing else is touched - ever.  Maybe not actually seeing them is no indication they aren't there! 

Unfortunately, they'd already been planted so not sure what to do now.

xx
rudbeckia from seed

Started by james coylejimm on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2021, 14:27
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Bare root Rudbeckia Goldsturm

Started by Torgan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 16:29
by sunshineband
xx
Rudbeckia Goldsturm, Black Eyed Susan.

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 15:11
by sunshineband
xx
another day another problem!!!!

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 21:42
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.