sweet peas

• 6 Replies

CaroM

sweet peas
« on: September 21, 2009, 14:36 »
Hello

I'm a complete beginner, so please forgive/pity my ignorance but I have a question about sweet peas. I grew some from seeds (from a packet) this year and now the plants all have pods full of seeds on them. Can I save those seeds to plant next year, or should I buy new seeds? Will there be any difference between the seeds in the packet and those in the pods?

See, told you I was ignorant. Would love to know, though!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cx

tode

Re: sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 14:42 »
Yes, plant half of them now (don't have to be properly dried). That way they get off to a flying start next Spring. If they get cut down, sow other half thet you have properly dried  :D

If the're F1 seeds, you'll get differences, but mine are in their 3rd year now, and are still great, with +++ perfume. If you want a particular colour, then resow with fresh seed.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 22:12 »
ooo thanks Tode, thats handy for me too.  I didnt know they didnt have to be fully dried out.  Job for the weekend  :D  First year Ive grown them...arent they stunning?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

tode

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 23:34 »
Ive just pulled out the sweet pes, I've already got new ones coming up (about 1 inch high). They came through last winter OK, and we had -12 / -14 °.  I'd never realised what tough little things they are.  ::).
Next Spring, I'll take better care of them: a bit of pinching and staking will probably get a really good display.

I imagine that you don't have to plant them very deep at the moment, since they've come up all by themselves   :)

CaroM

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:07 »
Lovely, many thanks for your help. Sweet peas have always been one of my favourites, so it's lovely to think of growing them every year.  Now starting to think of other flowers I might grow. Nice wildy-looking ones.

C xx

tode

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13 »
I'm very keen on having as many scented flowers/leaves in the garden as poss. , and sweet peas get 11/10 for that !
Just a little bunch of half a dozen can perfume a room for days.
If you've got the space, its nice to have a "panel" of em each side of a small path, so that you walk through them.

CaroM

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19 »
They do smell lovely, and it's been great this summer having them in the house all the time. I've got quite a big garden, but it's mostly lawn for my two year old daughter and two step children (6 and 10) to play on so no paths to speak of. I plan to get as many as I can along the fences, though.

xx
Sweet Peas gone mad!

Started by thumperrabbit on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 16:01
by sunshineband
xx
Sweet peas

Started by Broadhaven on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 19:54
by green fingers
xx
sweet peas

Started by snow white on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 13:04
by Optimistic Gardener
xx
B & Q Sweet Peas

Started by DD. on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 08:25
by DD.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 35 queries.