any advice on getting started please

• 9 Replies
any advice on getting started please
« on: August 24, 2009, 18:32 »
I have just taken my first allotment,it hasn't been touched in over a year and is waist high in couch grass, which is very dry to the good spell we have been having here, there's a few weeds in it and one or two brambles that have crept along. So far we have cleared an area for a shed and now we are ready to strim off the rest, once that's done what's the next best thing to do, we are planning to rotovate and incorporate lots of readily available horse manure, the whole thing is plotted on paper where everything will be and we are ready to go, any help and advice will be gratefully received. :)

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Re: any advice on getting started please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 18:41 »
do a little at a time, but often, in terms of cutting down the couch grass - and you will get there. Not a bad time of year to start as you won't be rushing to plant things now until next year probably.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 18:43 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Shadrak

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 19:06 »
l would try to dig the weeds and couch grass out befor you rotovate could save you abit of time in the long run. Other than that just try and enjoy it allways alot of fun watching the plot come together even with the aches and pains along the way.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 19:15 »
Well you're starting at the best time of year so well done  :D

Look here for advice on clearing a plot.  I agree with the others that rotavating before you get the couch grass out is simply chopping it up into more pieces  :(

As the others have said, start on a small part of the ground and clear that first, before moving on.  Aim for slow and sure.

If you want to use weedkiller, wait a couple of weeks after strimming and then blitz the new growth with a glyphosate based one.  It will take a couple of weeks to die then it can be just left until you're ready to tackle it.

If you don't want to use weedkiller, I'd cover the bits you're not ready to tackle (not with carpet).

Decide what you want to plant and where - you'll be able to get onions and garlic in later in the autumn if you want to grow them this year (harvest next summer).

And enjoy!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 20:15 »
thanks to those of you who have replied to my request, I am truly gratetful and will take on the advice offered, watch this space for how it goes!!! :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 20:17 »
Don't forget to take before and progress piccies, it will keep you going when it seems tough  :D

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 20:24 »
already taken piccies fron day one(last Friday) up to today so will try to see if I can get them posted here. :)

beansticks

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 20:25 »
Good luck,and as already advised a little at a time,and do take photos,i did'nt and i really regret it now.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 20:29 »
Another thing, check whether the manure has had the herbicide aminopyralid applied in a previous life (either as grass eaten, or bedding).  If so, don't use it.  It kills certain veggies including spuds and beans  :mad:

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 20:45 »
thanks re the manure advice, I will certainly ask that question :)

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 36 queries.