Growing giant alliums from seed?

• 22 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Growing giant alliums from seed?
« on: March 21, 2009, 20:41 »
I had some giant alliums (large purple heads) grown from bulbs a few years ago and kept the spiky heads for dried flower display.  All had small black seeds in which drop out and I have kept many.  Is it posible to grow them from seed and how hard and how long would it take to flower?  Would like information on how to do this is poss - any ideas out there?
mrs.ploppy

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Re: Growing giant alliums from seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 21:28 »
OK I've heard it takes a year but I'll double check on that cause it sounds rediculous.

Teen

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 21:33 »
I've found this on the RHS Website:

"It is possible to propagate alliums by seed, however hybrids will not come true from this method.  It is best to sow ripe seeds as soon as possible. Alternatively store in a fridge and sow in spring at about 13°C (55°F). Most should germinate within 12 weeks. It will take several years to reach the flowering size."

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 21:55 »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I will give it a go as I got a few years in me yet I hope so don't mind the wait!  LOL  I thought they may not stay to type but will be interesting to see what comes up.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 14:03 »
I was going to ask something similar; where I grew giant alliums last year there are now hundreds of seedlings coming up that look right (like germinating leeks). I was wondering if it was worth lifting them and potting them up before they get swamped by other plants. I think I'll do a couple of dozen and see what happens.

Charlie

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 14:13 »
Well worth a try!!..........i'm going to leave mine to seed this year and do the same thing as you.
It worked with chives...............so should work fine with the ornamental ones :)
In Rosemary Verey's laburnum walk at Barnsley House all the alliums self seed the colours are variable but still looks wonderful! :) :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 14:17 by mumofstig »

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 21:17 »
Well worth a try!!..........i'm going to leave mine to seed this year and do the same thing as you.
It worked with chives...............so should work fine with the ornamental ones :)
In Rosemary Verey's laburnum walk at Barnsley House all the alliums self seed the colours are variable but still looks wonderful! :) :)
Ooh. I hope it works, as I left mine last year. Fingers crossed. X X
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 22:04 »
I have a slightly smaller flowering allium that readily self seeds and I'm at the point where I must regularly dig up the bulbs as they can quickly take over the plot. A lot of my friends now have masses of flowering onions. I never seem to remember to cut off the flower heads in time. If you feel you're getting the actual giant allium growing, I highly advise staking as the stalk will flop over from the weight of the head. I have a number of these from purchased bulbs and all require staking.

Bombers

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 22:26 »
What like these?

Thanks Trillium. I don't stake them, (they are quite sheltered). I haven't seen any new growth  from last years seeds as yet,but if they germinate, should I  transplant them to a nursery bed to mature, or just leave 'em be? Sorry Mrs Ploppy, but I thought this might help answer your questions too!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 22:33 »

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 22:37 »
Well I hope mind do come to something now after all the advice.  The originals were from bulbs and the heads were about 7-8" across and bright purple.  What ever comes up they should look good.  I cut the heads to dry for display so never let the seeds fall.  Now the dried heads are in the kitchen window the seeds have fallen and I collected.  I planted some the other day so if anything pops it head up will let you all know but the seed is obviously a year old not new as advised.  Fingers crossed.

Just read previous post and it was very interesting.  Mine looked like the second picture.  Will throw the remaining seed in the large tub where I grew them and see if they prefur to grow naturally too.  Thanks for all advice.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 22:44 by mrs.ploppy »

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:49 »
Last year I had seedlings in the border with a narrow leaf which died back. This year they have reappeared with a broad leaf like the parent plant. I am not expecting them to flower this year.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 14:54 »
If the garden area isn't regularly cultivated then you can simply leave the new seedlings in place. If you prefer, move them to a temporary bed, it's merely choice and space availability. My giant alliums (Globemaster) are in the most sheltered area of my garden and they grow to almost 5 ft tall. Without staking they still flop over. A green bamboo cane keeps them upright and blends into the greenery.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 17:23 »
WOW 5 feet tall!  Mine never got that high prob cause they were in a tub.  Tallest was about 3ft tall.

Bombers

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 19:35 »
Well, after a couple of days rain these appeared...........

You can make them out better in this picture............

There are hundreds of them! 8) I think I will leave them be as they are nicely sheltered around a large camelia. How pleased am I! :tongue2:

xx
Giant Alliums from seed

Started by mrs.ploppy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 18:58
by mumofstig
xx
Alliums

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 08:06
by Eblana
xx
Alliums

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2019, 14:54
by AnneB
xx
problem alliums

Started by fisher on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 16:32
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 33 queries.