introduction ..

• 3 Replies

threepennies

introduction ..
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:45 »
Hi all. Thought I would finally register after weeks of reading everyone elses tips and advice ... not that I have any of my own to pass on but I have enjoyed reading yours! We are a family of 3, husband 34 and I am knocking on the 30 door! We have a 6 year old daughter who has found a new hobby for digging trenches for hours .... at least its not our garden! We are new to this grow your own lark and need all the help we can get. We moved into the village last august and when we found that we have allotments sitting behind a hedgerow 2 min walk away from our house, we had to put our name down. We were told we had got one and were over the moon to be told that it was £5 a year for a half plot!! We have had our fair share of people taking the mickey and telling us "have you nothing better to do"... that surprised us. All I can say is that we have found it fantastic to do something as a family as the week is so busy, my daughters lingering cold cleared up after a weekend in the fresh air, and we get to eat the best food we can! I am sure they will be changing their minds when they realise I have grown far too many veggies and need to pass them round!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
introduction ..
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:48 »
Hello and welcome :)
Bit surprised you had people take the mickey - allotments are quite fashionable at the moment.  That's got the benefit of filling vacant plots and protecting sites from evil councils but I have noticed a some take on a plot and quickly get disheartened because it involves work.

The social side of allotments is very important - not only do you do something as a family, which is great in itself, but you get to meet people who you might never meet otherwise.

Enjoy and do jump in - everyone has a tip to pass on somewhere.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Dean

• http://www.laytolose.co.uk
introduction ..
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 17:51 »
I agree with John, the social side of allotments is fantastic...except where we are in Weldon. My wife and I have dug about half our plot and we've seen just two other people in the 20 or so trips to the plot!

But...the other plots get worked. Just when do they do it? :? We've been up there at weekends, bank holidays - no one. Then during weekday mornings, afternoons, early evenings - no one!

It's a complete mystery as to when all this work gets done  :?:

Now, if it's wood elves - then how do I get them to dig our plot :wink:

Good luck with the plot, Threepennies!

Now for a surpise visit to catch them at it in Weldon! :D  :D

Jake

• Rockers
introduction ..
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 21:28 »
Yeah thats true, there are some I see almost weekly, the guy in the next plot, the one sort of opposite and a really big bloke about 100 meters away, oh and an old chap who gave me some potatoes last year, I hope I can return the favour.

But there are a lot of plots AND they are being worked, I even take the odd day off too.  Mysterious :shock:
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

xx
Introduction

Started by greenie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2006, 21:44
by greenie
xx
introduction

Started by bramblewood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2006, 09:45
by bramblewood
xx
My first allotment (and introduction)

Started by Man-K on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2006, 12:48
by milkman
xx
Introduction and general advice

Started by Tensing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2006, 10:02
by John

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 34 queries.