PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS

• 7 Replies

davidevans

PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« on: April 13, 2006, 20:28 »
Hi
I have e beds which have had mushroom compost on them and been covered with blck plastic to keep them reasonably warm for the last 3 months. I have calabrese, sprouts and cauli seedlings doing okay in 3inch peat pots - Im wondering with so much info around what i should do next
a) Dig the beds over again addding bonemeal and lime
b) Then stamp them down - as ive heard they need a firm ground to grow?
c) pot up exiting brassicas into 6inch pots for a couple of weeks
d) plant out under cloches initially nd using collars and perhaps use stakes to help with any winds

Does this sound right or have i misinterpreted anything incorrectly

Thanks
Dave

noshed

brassicas
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 23:49 »
I certainly wouldn't stamp anything down. From what I can gather once you get your soil organised, don't compact it. If the bed is reasonably weed-free and the soil is in good heart (compost dug in etc) then anything should do OK. If the soil is fairly acid - see John's advice about lime.
I think brassicas are fairly forgiving, apart from slugs and other beasts...
I'm just pleased it's got a bit warmer.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:43 »
The reason for firm soil with brassicas is that they tend to be large plants and the wind can rock them, which breaks the little roots and stops them feeding so well.

Brassicas are a plant that has an awful lot of leaf. The brussel sprout is a folded up leaf - and leaves need nitrogen. Bonemeal is a good slow release nitrogen fertiliser but brassicas are hungry beasts. I would give them a handful of pelleted chicken manure to boost the nitrogen.

I've seen the effect of urea - really boosts the cabbage family BUT can make them go too far and so sappy that the aphids get a hold.

One benefit to the grower of organic methods is that the plant tends to be tougher and resistant to pest and disease so you don't get into a cycle of using one chemical to compensate for another.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 22:59 »
You do need a firm ground for brassicas.  OH told me off last year because I was treading the ground down a bit like old Pecy Thrower used to, so I left it and all my brassicas were disappointing.  My cabbages didn't heart up much, my brussels were nearly all blown and open, not tight little sprouts like they are supposed to be, and my few cauliflowers didn't get very big and my Romanescus looked more like sprouting broccoli!!!  So as the ground was well dug last year.  The place I am putting them this year isn't going to be dug much.  I'll put them in the firm soil and see what happens

davidevans

PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 11:55 »
I grew a few sprouts but they were sooo distorted and unrecogniseable like small letuuces - someone told me it was becasure i didnt tread the ground - does that sound right?
Dave

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 12:01 »
Possible, I suppose but I would suspect  something else - perhaps too much nitrogen? Maybe the pH?
Something went wrong for sure.

Jake

• Rockers
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 20:10 »
Can I ask if it is too late to lime. I've been told I should only have done this in january/february and shouldn't do it now, is this correct? If the soil is too acid thats bad right?

I want to grow brussels and I have lots on the go.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 22:38 »
I just did my brassica bed yesterday -very late but I won't be planting out into it for a few weeks yet. I used dolomite which has magnesium . First time I have used it - seemed a bit powdery compared to ground limestone. See yesterdays diary for details.

xx
Preparing new brassica bed

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 09:42
by mashbintater
xx
Preparing a Brassica Bed

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 15:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Preparing brassica bed for next year!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 18:21
by pigguns
xx
Preparing new raised beds in March?

Started by angela G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 14:07
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 35 queries.