Hamburg Parsley

• 13 Replies

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« on: December 04, 2006, 22:29 »
Looking to increase what ive got available throughout the winter(next).So have already got hold of some Jerusalem and chinese artichokes but was wondering if anyone have any success in growing hamburg parsley.How easy,difficult are they to grow and do they need any special conditions beyond the normal root veg? The seeds certainly seem cheap.Also when and how are they sowed?

muntjac

Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 22:51 »
no idea , never liked parsley of any sort unless its dry in packet of stuffing :wink:
still alive /............

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 23:01 »
Seems like a great value crop though Muntjac. You can use the leaves as a garnish and the roots,which looks like parsnips, sounds great although I have to confess that ive never eaten one.And its hardy so available when theres not a grreat deal around.

muntjac

Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 23:03 »
it probably is a tasty plant mate ,i havent heard of it so i will leave it to you to give me a heads up if its good  :wink:

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 23:07 »
But then again Muntjac as a mean person probably the price is the biggest attraction for me - 89p for 1000 seeds from djbrowns.

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 17:30 »
Not even an entry for it on wikipedia -is it really that obscure.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 17:44 »
Dr. Hessayon lists it in the Vegetable Expert under Rarities. He says that the roots taste like well-flavoured parsnips with a hint of celery best roasted or fried as chips.

Seems to need slightly warmer soil than parsnips at sowing time but otherwise sounds trouble free.

Maybe I will try some myself.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 17:47 »
Quote from: "silver8"
Not even an entry for it on wikipedia -is it really that obscure.

The RHS has got a bit on it here:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/thegarden/pubs/garden0303/rootveg.asp

Popular in Germany, believe it or not!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 18:29 »
Sounds interesting - think I'll give it a go next season - was planning on trying salsify and scorzonera too.  Did you get the seeds online, silver8?

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 21:39 »
Thanks thats useful.
Havenot brought the seeds yet but noticed that they were only 89p from DJBrowns but dont know how much the postage will be.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 22:02 »
Do you want to go halves on some?  I could send you a cheque and SAE?

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 08:52 »
If you pm your address ytyynycefn will certainly send you some.Dont worry about the cheque for 45p you can have them as a Christmas present.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 18:56 »
Has a very big entry in my Complete Book of Vegetables by Matthew Biggs.
Says sow early in the year, may need to cloche/blackpoly  the ground for a while before sowing to warm up the earth. Sow in drills 1/2inch deep, 10-12inches apart, thin to final spacing of 9inches. Alternatively sow in stations, 3-4 seeds every 9inches and thin to strongest seedling. Can make second sowing in mid summer to provide early crops the next year.
Dig in plenty of well-rotted compost/organic matter in the autumn before planting or where soil has been manured for the previous crop. Rake finely before sowing, slow germination, keep weed free especially when they're seedlings, hoe carefully to avoid root damage. Mulch to conserve moisture. Can suffer from parsnip canker but is otherwise "trouble-free". If you station sow, you can fill in the spaces with small lettuces like "Tom Thumb". Use radishes as an marker intercropping so you don't weed out the parsley seedlings.
"Warning: Hamburg parsley should not be eaten in large amounts by expectant mothers or those with kidney problems"

Culinary... flavour reminiscent of celeriac and is frequently used in eastern european cooking. Scrub clean gently - don't peel or scrape. Can be roasted, sauteed or fried like chips, boiled, steamed or added to soups/stews, can also be grated raw into winter salads. Can be dried in a low oven and used in stews as flavouring. Has a recipe for Croatian Hamburger Parsley Soup.
Medicinal, leaves are good source of vitamins A & C. Reduces inflammation, used for eurological conditions like cystitis and kidney stones and helps indigestion, arthritis, rheumatism. After childbirth it encourages laction... the roots and seeds promote uterine contractions (hence previous warning), leaves are excellent breath freshner and can counteract garlic breath  :lol:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

silver8

• Experienced Member
Hamburg Parsley
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 16:23 »
Thanks Heather seem a wortwhile crop to grow.

xx
Hamburg Parsley

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 17:53
by realfood
xx
Hamburg parsley...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:17
by Growster...
xx
Hamburg [root] parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2018, 10:37
by jaydig
xx
Black Hamburg grape help

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 11:31
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 39 queries.