Help for Hydrangea "Runaway Bride"

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

Help for Hydrangea "Runaway Bride"
« on: July 29, 2021, 16:04 »
This lady has been giving me trouble since spring.  She is very temperamental.     She looked a bit pathetic when I bought her last autumn.  In spring I planted her up, and she grew but the leaves looked yellow.   Gradually the poor girl has looked worse.
Yesterday, I knew she was dying, so I went with her into the greenhouse.  1st Clue the container was very heavy.  After fiddling about, I decided to take her completely out and have a decco.   The rootball  was saturated.    I went o to open a new bag of compost and that was even weter.    I shook the soil of the rootball, and stood her naked in a tub.   Overnight and today, I have been trying to get the soil dried out.
The container only had 2 holes in it.  So kind neighbour put in 6 or 7 more.
By lunchtime she was wilting, so I planted her back in the container with lots if grit and nearly dry soil.
I have put her back in the shade, and am trying to dry out more soil.  She is blowing about in the gales, and I am worried about her rocking.  Her centre is very small !  I don't know if you have anymore advice to offer,  if so what.  I have worked hard with her so wouldn't like to lose her, but .......
Any help please,    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: Help for Hydrangea "Runaway Bride"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 19:53 »
Would it be worth pruning her branches to a good leaf joint to allow her to put her roots out & concentrate on root growth ?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 09:34 »
Hi snowdrops,  yes that is a really good plan, I didn't think of.   I shall go out in a minute, in the gale, and do that.  Hopefully she won't have rocked out of the container.   Oh, she is a worry  :lol:  Thanks Mrs B.

Abbie Green

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 12:38 »
Try changing the soil to Ericaceous. It worked for mine.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 10:14 »
Try changing the soil to Ericaceous. It worked for mine.

Thats is what I would suggest as well.  Plus if your tap water is hard, try to water with rain water and treat her to an ericaceous feed over the growing season Mrs B  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 13:28 »
She does seem alot happier now I have cut her back alot, and replanted.  I am going out for ericacious soil tomorrow and I shall gently add some to the soil and top dress with it.  I need the soil for a Skimia as well.
Thanks,  Mrs B

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 42 queries.