Mid season review

• 20 Replies

AnneB

Re: Mid season review
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 19:26 »
Anne you have my sympathies, I have been down that road with both grandparents and my father, it is hard.
Thank you Missmoneypenny.  I am hoping for some equilibrium now.  We only finished sorting out my mother in law's house too just before Christmas.  I have had a cataract operation a month ago and our 3 year old grandson has spent a week in hospital.  I think that's probably enough to deal with.  No more please!!  The plot isn't looking great, but it's not too shabby considering.  Hoping for a good second half of the season.

Christine

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 18:50 »
The year is behind itself in a lot of ways. Good harvest of peas, broad beans look to be good, courgettes suffering from mildew but producing better than last year, carrots seem to be better than last year, not as many raspberries but with the family away a lot more than I could eat, new strawberry bed - looks as if next year will be more  productive, onions small but good, salad behind with the planting, first lot of beetroot didn't come up, brassicas not doing what they should, first lot of kale went to seed almost as soon as out of the packet along with the purple top turnips.

In other words, a mixed bag but enough to keep us going.

Diggerdownsman

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 14:47 »
After a very slow start.
Courgettes are doing well. 2 plants are enormous and producing well. Some leaves have signs of mildew, but this isn't unusual. I've been cutting these off and binning them.
Sugar Bon Peas doing really well.
Runner beans shot up their frame after a poor start. Started with lots of dropped blooms, but I guess this was due to too much rain. They are now producing lots of blooms and quite a few beans.
Climbing French Beans started very slowly, but now hitting the top of the frame. Not so many blooms but producing some curiously curly beans.
Sweet Peppers have just recently started to grow in earnest, and some have just stated to flower.
Tomatoes plants are a bit disappointing but are fruiting, I don't expect very big toms, but time will tell.
Greenhouse Cucumbers have done brilliantly, and very tasty.
Outdoor Cucumbers. Only one germinated  :( and isn't in the best of condition.
Thinned out carrots and Parsnips yesterday, some of the carrot 'thinnings' were big enough to eat :D

Regarding our allotment cohabitators. Loads of bees, around at the moment, which is great. Not so great the amount of aphids/black fly.  I've also been pretty fortunate, up to now, with slugs and snails. I've not encountered the usual plague levels of slugs, but a few determined snails have had a free meal or two, or more, but manageable.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 19:36 »
My pea Avola looked as if they were going to fail, nothing for ages and now cropping very well, courgettes have been disappointing this year,  out on my raised beds the pak choi has bolted and been replaced with little gem, onions are doing well, carrots are looking good as are the cabbage, sprouts, leeks and beetroot. the brocolli and caulflower are not doing so well.  In the greenhouse the cucumber are doing very well and cropping great as were the tomatoes but plenty of fruits still on them. on my window ledge my jalapeno, golden bell, frigilitilo, hungarian hot wax and red cherry are all coming along well
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

jambop

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 20:41 »
My main concern is that we are not getting away from cool wet weather. Don't misunderstand we need rain but the tender tomatoes have just about had enough. It is very unusual for us to get so much cool wet weather 
at this time in the summer but if we get past the next week or so without too much rain there is just a chance that we may get some nice tomatoes to store for the winter but it is certainly the worst weather we have had in summer in the 10 years we have been here but locals are saying they cannot remember such poor weather ?

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 06:11 »
It's not actually a like, Jambop, just that I agree with you, especially after Friday here, which was like November!

I think the GH toms will pull through, and probably the open East facing ones, but the shaded East ones are doing terribly, with hardly any trusses. It's a shame, because they're San Marzano, which we rely on for freezing, but hey-ho...

'Joan J' rasps are forming now, so maybe it'll be a fruit year instead - the 'Xenia' gooseberries and '?' blackcurrants were fantastic!

xx
Review!

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:22
by Greendream
xx
Mid term review

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2023, 09:51
by Goosegirl
xx
Strawberry Review: Sarian F1 hybrid

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 16:09
by arugula
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 42 queries.