Poorly bay tree

• 5 Replies

Grubbypaws

Poorly bay tree
« on: May 09, 2021, 15:51 »
My bay tree is looking very sorry for itself. I am not sure whether it was the low temperatures that we have had or the drought. I have cut off all the dead and dying and fed it but have just seen that the bark has split on the main stem at the bottom. I presume that I caused it by giving it a good drenching when I realised quite how dry the soil was. Is it a goner?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly bay tree
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 16:36 »
My bay tree is about 20 years old and has survived everything, including being literally sawn down to less than half its previous size about 5 years ago.  :ohmy:
Only thing that sometimes troubles it is persistent cold easterly winds which tend to scorch some of the leaves
(it's protected by the house from northerly winds.)

Unless it's a very young tree, and in a pot which got very dry for a long period of time, I'd be surprised if it's a goner if it's still showing signs of life, although admittedly splitting bark is not a good sign.
Don't bin it yet!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 16:50 »
Unless it's a very young tree, and in a pot which got very dry for a long period of time, I'd be surprised if it's a goner if it's still showing signs of life, although admittedly splitting bark is not a good sign.
Don't bin it yet!  ;)

It is young and in a pot which got very dry for a long time  :(

For some reason my head didnt register how dry things had become. I guess I m not used to watering in April!

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 19:01 »
Hello did you happen to water it with tap water they dont like lime,try a drop of sequestrine iron I found that livened one up that had been watered with tap water    jezza

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 20:37 »
Poor drainage is the #1 enemy of bay trees, #2 is very low temperatures and/or cold winds.
They don't need acidic soil at all.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:01 »
My god lucky you! I have a bay hedge that the previous owner planted 30 odd years ago and I have had to hack it back so many times and it still regrows to about 10 ft high again. I have now cut it back to ground level and a local is going to completely dig the roots out so I will be rid of it and can erect a fence in its place. I was almost passing out with the smell of bay leaves when I cut it back with the chainsaw :lol: Bay together with fig and bramble are pest plants in my garden never finished weeding them out >:(

sad
Poorly apple tree

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 20:46
by Jay The Digger
xx
poorly pear tree?

Started by ady22 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:15
by Trillium
xx
Poorly plum tree (Duc du Comice)

Started by Veggie Virgin on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 08:46
by shokkyy
clip
Poorly Bramley Apple Tree

Started by FrankS on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 13, 2023, 18:04
by FrankS

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 37 queries.