How to grow parsley successfully

• 22 Replies

missmoneypenny

How to grow parsley successfully
« on: April 16, 2021, 08:59 »
I love parsley but last years effort was mediocre at best. The leaves were small and turned yellow quite early in the season. Any tips? Do they like semi shade? Rich soil? Lots of space? Last years were in full sun, maybe that was a bit much. I’m even wondering if they’d be better off in my back yard, in large pots. I have lots of healthy looking seedlings that need planting on. Thanks for any advice.

Growster...

Re: How to grow parsley successfully
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 09:02 »
We usually buy a ready-planted pot from the supermarket, and pop it in a spare bit near some fruit bushes!

It can be a bit awkward to get going I agree, and a big pot could be an ideal solution!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:14 »
They do like a bit of shade from the mid-day sun and even moisture - last year was a very dry year, wasn't it.
They do ok in pots use a soil-based compost or mix some soil in if you only have multi-purpose stuff.
Keep up with the watering so they don't dry out (but don't get them waterlogged either )

They aren't really that fussy, honestly  :lol:

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 09:32 »
Is there a good way to germinate the seeds. I never have much success, this year I have a propagator if that helps.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 09:45 »
Is there a good way to germinate the seeds. I never have much success, this year I have a propagator if that helps.

Parsley is in the same family as parsnip, so isn't quick to germinate even in ideal conditions, which is somewhere around 25C (but not much more than that.)

I've had no problem germinating them on a sunny windowsill indoors, although must admit every other year I buy a supermarket pot of growing plants, separate and plant them out - this does seem to knock them back for a while but they soon recover.

Agree that they are one of the relatively few herbs that seem to prefer some shade.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 13:21 »
I grow my Parsley in 8-10 inch pots. Just use garden soil to topup the previous pot soil and mix it all up with a little fresh seed compost before sowing new seed.
I sow the seed in a succession of pots from February to about now and leave indoors near a window, until the seedlings get to about an inch high.
I then move the pots slowly outside to acclimatise. They never really seem to mind the jump.
I have all my pots placed at the foot of a fence, so could say is semi-shade depending on the time of day.
Do water the pots a few times a week if its not rained.

Parsley does take a good 14 or more days to germinate. But once up, grows quick.
I always grow flat and curly seeds in separate pots and they always both come up the same.
The way I grow it I am picking Parsley from the pots the first year and second year before it eventually starts going to seed in the second year Autumn. I always keep one of each pot variety and move them to a darker part of the garden to flower the next spring and collect the shake off the seed.

Have over the years tried transplanting small seedlings, but find they do not grow into good plants.
Regular cutting is the key to Parsley, do not be afraid, the more you cut the more your get.
Do sow carefully too, try and space the seeds a good 1/2inch apart. The seeds are small but it is worth taking the effort, otherwise you are wasting seed and crowding the seedlings. The seedlings when small are not easy to pick out without disturbing the others..

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 14:07 »
Thanks guys, this is all really helpful advice. I am going to hedge my bets and plant some at the allotment, maybe near the currant bushes so they’ll be in partial shade, and I will keep some in pots in my back yard. I agree with you Lettice small seedlings do not take well to being moved, I find that across the board eg beetroot as well.

Florain

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 20:41 »
Parsley is same family as carrots so weak, yellowing plants could be caused by carrot fly.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 00:28 »
My flat-leaved Italian parsley grows in full sun here in Georgia. It stays out all winter as well. Ours grows in a pot (2 gallon maybe?) If you are not growing from seed, Growster's grocery store idea is absolutely the ticket!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

al78

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 08:38 »

When I grew parsley years and years ago I used to soak the seeds for 24 hours before sowing. They are notorious for takling a long time to germinate.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 17:54 »
have been growing both flat and curled parsley for some years now basically the same as lettice has said we just fill small black plastic pots with compost sow the seed and put them in the poly tunnel then when there big enough put them in a row down the allotments or keep some for selling on my wife's got a old wives tale you cant give parsley away its bad luck :(

but having said that we had some left over in pots  from last year i left them on the garden basically forgot about them and there  come back bursting out of the pots i must have done something rite  for a change :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 14:38 »
This year I bought my parsley seeds from Suttons (moss curled 2). On the packet it said to soak them in warm water for 24 hours prior to sowing. I have never seen this before and dont know whether it just applies to this variety. They are soaking as I write.

I have just noticed that al78 used to do this.  Does anyone else soak their parsley seeds?

missmoneypenny

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 19:56 »
@Subversive_plot just noticed you are in Georgia ( is that USA or Caucasus?). Either way it sounds exotic!

jambop

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 09:59 »

My way is to take a large'ish pot fill with compost and the sprinkle say 25 seeds on the surface very lightly cover , water and keep at a nice temp . When they are through let them grow on a bit and thin into open ground and keep well watered.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 12:42 »
@Subversive_plot just noticed you are in Georgia ( is that USA or Caucasus?). Either way it sounds exotic!

Hi Miss Mp!

Yes, I live in Athens, Georgia (USA). It's why I type with a southern accent!!  :D :lol:. Athens is home to the University of Georgia (I earned my PhD in geology here). 

Athens is also where a lot of rock bands got there start (lots of other musicians, too!).  R.E.M. and The B-52s started here, if you know those bands! 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:46 by Subversive_plot »

xx
Can I grow Ginger successfully Up North?

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 20:07
by Kevin67
xx
Yard Long Beans, anyone successfully grown them outdoors?

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 11:33
by Muddylou
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 52 queries.