When to take Chrysanthemum cuttings?

• 2 Replies

Nobbie

When to take Chrysanthemum cuttings?
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:52 »
Bought some rooted cutting last year to grow as cut flowers and they grew well and had a good display. The plants were cut down, dug up and put in a cold greenhouse to overwinter. They have been slowly developing sprouts from the stools and some are approaching 3-4 inches. Should I take cuttings now or leave until later. Can the cuttings be left to root in an unheated greenhouse or would they be better in a cool loft room on the windowsill or warm under LED lighting. They seem pretty hardy for tender plants. Don’t want to end up with big plants that can’t be planted out until later.

Nobbie

Re: When to take Chrysanthemum cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 16:16 »
In case anyone finds this when searching, I thought I’d update (and show off a bit). I ended up taking the cuttings about a couple of weeks later, so about mid March. I’d kept the transit containers that the original plants came in that I bought from Woolmans and they were a perfect low effort way for rooting the cuttings. Used a mixture of multipurpose compost and perlite to keep the mixture light.

Cuttings were pulled from the stools and trimmed to just below a leaf node as close to the base as possible. Didn’t have any rooting powder, so did without. Compost was laid in each side of the container and the cuttings were laid on one side before closing the container up and taping four of the containers together and giving them a soak in a tray of water.

They were left in my unheated greenhouse out of direct sunlight untouched for about a month and then given another water. Not long after this I noticed a few roots had formed and then one popped out of the top of the container, so I decided to open them up and see how they’d done.

I could only see roots in half of them from the bottom, but one opened it was clear that they were all alive and had rooted to greater or lesser extents. I then potted them up into 3” pots and gave them a good watering.

My lessons from this are that they are pretty straightforward to root, even without rooting powder in an unheated greenhouse and that the transit cases from Woolmans make excellent propagation modules which I’ll now use for some geraniums. The other advantage of using the Woolmans cases was that they were already labelled with the variety so saved me a bit of work :D

All I’ve got to do now is work out where to plant them all eventually.
6BB1B193-9D60-4C2B-AD00-05BFE30CE511.jpeg
CE151629-AB51-4397-96A1-F956A94D6A52.jpeg
FD1BA4F1-4D25-4688-911F-6D50B4F6846D.jpeg

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: When to take Chrysanthemum cuttings?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 20:09 »
Well done you!

xx
Chrysanthemum cuttings

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:20
by adal
xx
Chrysanthemum cuttings

Started by Bombus on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 15:16
by Bombus
xx
Chrysanthemum cuttings

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 09:20
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
chrysanthemum's

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 28, 2017, 12:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 37 queries.