Apple tree leaning correction

• 5 Replies

Hortic

Apple tree leaning correction
« on: January 25, 2021, 13:50 »
Hi All.
I have a four year old traditional variety apple tree that has started to lean. I know how to correct this, what I need is advice on equipment and where to get it. There isn't root damage and I don't want to dig, just gently leaver it to a more upright position.
I'm an older person doing this on my own so please keep that in mind.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Apple tree leaning correction
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 19:33 »
Good afternoon Hortic,  I have had the same 'problem' withan apple tree.  I solved it with half a dozen shackles, a couple of tree ties (black rubbery straps) and a long length of rope.  (the rope is still in place for further adjustment if needed.

One end fastenened securely as high up the tree as possible and the other through shackles and secured low down to a fence post or similar the tree can be straightened by gradually pulling and securing the rope.  If this is done a little at a time a good result can be achieved.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 19:51 »
Mine is pruned as a goblet shape, but one main branch had grown stronger with more branches, and this year had a lot more apples on it, and the tree had started to lean over.
I recently pruned that branch out, so the main branches left are now equidistant, and where the tie was lower down I've moved it higher up the trunk.
The tree is much straighter already, and I can adjust the tie, if necessary.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 19:58 »
We had this problem with a tree on site. Someone had those wide cotton straps that are used to tie down loads, with metal ratchets. We used those, gradually ratcheting the tree upright over the course of a few months.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growing Weather

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 20:06 »
It it on M27 rootstock?   Weak rootstock. If it is you will need to keep the tree wired for all its life.

Hope this makes sense

You could try using a piece of hosepipe say 8 inches long cut down it's length. Then hoop that around one of the branches where it comes off the trunk. A loop of wire with one loop put through the hose pipe over the branch, the other through a firm ground stake and twisted with a screwdriver to tighten on its self will do the trick.

Hortic

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 10:50 »
Thank you to everyone who replied, lots of good info here.
I ended up with a strong young neighbour supporting the tree in the correct position while I got a wire through a piece of hose pipe around it to two deeply set metal stakes. The tree is now upright and the gap filled with compost and tapped down, the tree fed.  I'll keep it like that and watched.
I'd originally wanted to strap and ratchet but didn't have the info at the time, but good neighbours did the trick. Can't attach a photo I'm afraid.

xx
Apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 04:34
by mdjlucan
xx
apple tree

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2015, 18:46
by chrissie B
xx
Ground cover under apple tree

Started by Wombat18 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:48
by Goosegirl
xx
yarrow in the flower/apple tree bed

Started by rowe1311 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 17:39
by rowe1311

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 42 queries.