Early casualties...

• 1 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Early casualties...
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:37 »
So, it looks like the white rot is present on more of the garlic and shallots than I thought, onions seem fine though they are planted in a seperate bed.

My neighbour starts his sets off in cells then plants out when rooted and shooted saying the plant builds up some strength and reduces the risk of loss. However I was going to try seeds next time, though you cant grow garlic from seed...

Anyone have any tips on how to beat the rot?

Also does anyone have any ideas on how to attract the army of ladybirds currently messing about around the carrots where theyre not needed, to the broad beans which are getting decimated by black aphids? The daft things have a massive feast awaiting them but seem uninterested, even when moved by hand they just fly off back to the parsnips!

grinling

Re: Early casualties...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 19:31 »
there is no cure for white onion rot, so no onions, garlic and leeks. Alium flowers are no good.
Farmers use garlic water on the land up to 4 years to kill spores.
I am doing this on the front garden. I use ground up dried garlic and put it in a foot of a pair of tights and leave that in a waterbutt. 1 watercan should do 1 metre square. The garlic triggers the spores which die as there is nothing to latch onto. I do this serveral times in the growing season.
I am finding lots of ladybird eggs on the leaves of weeds, little yellow elongated eggs, so am leaving the weeds!!

xx
lots of frost casualties at my site !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 17:06
by PAH48
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 31 queries.