Protective netting

• 3 Replies

Ethel

Protective netting
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:58 »
Hi, I need to get some netting for my plot to keep off the birds and also to make some wind breaks - it's a very exposed plot. I've also heard people talk about rabbit proof netting but I'm nor sure anything will keep the rabbits and rats out. Anyway, I've seen lots of different options online, some costing a bit more but advertised as for horticultural purposes or specifically as windbreak netting, but the cheapest option I've seen is scaffolding netting and it looks very similar. Do people find it makes much difference which kind of net they use? Thanks for any opinions.
Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better.

Goosegirl

Re: Protective netting
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 15:07 »
I also live in a very exposed and windy site and in the past I have used that green wind-break netting but scaffold netting will be a lot cheaper though the colour may be a bit vivid! I think you can scrounge some off-cuts or torn pieces from building sites. To keep rabbits and rats out you need wire netting with a small mesh and bury it about 6" below the ground.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 18:27 »
I am lucky in that a good friend is a scaffolder and often dumps the netting and scaflex (plastic version) on my drive.
Use it for all sorts and dont have any issues and it can be a little breezy at times here in the tropics!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Ethel

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:48 »
Bit of a disaster with my PSB patch - I'd put some scaffolding netting up to help diffuse the wind but used bamboo for the frame. Went up 2 nights ago and found a cane had snapped and the fabric was flapping around in the breeze with a couple of the biggest plants blown over. I've replaced the bamboo with metal poles now but still concerned about the plants standing up as the soil is like powder. I've staked the fallen ones and earthed up the bottom of the stems a bit and I think I'll take a bag of soil from home, (which has clay in), to put around the bottom of the plants. Any other ideas for hanging onto my PSB? Thanks in advance.

xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide
xx
I don't like netting

Started by Petite graine on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 13:40
by Lee G
xx
Netting

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 15:40
by 3759allen
xx
netting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 15:30
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 29 queries.