Parsley

• 6 Replies

jambop

Parsley
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:27 »

The leaves on my flat leaf parsley look a bit grotty. If I clip the tops off will they regrow with nice fresh leaf?

Goosegirl

Re: Parsley
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 14:26 »
There's nothing lost if you do.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gellideg

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 15:44 »
Hello Jambop.Firstly my parsley looked under the weather so to speak a while ago,so I cut the topos off and watered it,and when it started to regrow I gave it a feed of tomato liquid feed and it is green and normal looking now.
Secondly,in the early spring I asked for help growing my onions from seed.You will have forgotten no doubt,but you suggested sowing them in a 7 inch pot with plenty of depth of compost and leaving them in it until planting out time.Well that has worked a treat and I wanted to thank you.     John.

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 16:40 »
It depends how much longer your growing season is in S. France.
Cut back to a couple of centimeters above any new shoots and give a light feed should get a positive response!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 17:21 »
Firstly Gellideg glad it worked out for you saves time, compost and labour but, I think, crucially when you dib them in you get a much more firmly planted onion which I think they much prefer whereas planning a module gives no where near the soil firming around the roots.
Secondly I have just chopped they plants back. We are having weather that you probably don't get in summer down here at the moment 27C today but alas the days are getting shorter and all good things things must come to an end but the nice weather will probably get them back on the road again.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:34 »
Parsley is very forgiving and you should have plenty of nice fresh growth soon, but bear in mind the plants then will want to throw up flower stalks.

We have a rash of self sown seedlings like this every year and they are easy to move to where you want when little. Bit of a bonus tbh  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 16:59 »
Not a 'top tip' as such because you can't do anything about it if it happens, but worth remembering that parsley is in the same family as carrots and parsnips and can also be attacked by carrot root fly, which can weaken or even kill the plant.

If a sickly looking plant pulls easily out of the ground that's probably what's happened (don't bother replanting it!)

I grow most of my parsley in my north facing front garden because it's rare amongst herbs in being perfectly happy, or even actually preferring, not being in full sun.

I use an occasional general purpose liquid feed to help keep it motivated.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 17:08 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
parsley

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 16:54
by jaydig
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
parsley- any tips?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 09:19
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.