Problem border

• 2 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Problem border
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:09 »
Hi, I have a border in my garden along which runs a 10 foot high beech hedge. Lots of things will grow in it but lots of things won't (or disappear after the first year)...lupins, foxgloves etc.

Now I guess the hedge is nicking all the nutrients and moisture from the soil, but how can I fix this? Come the autumn I can dig in...whatever, but at the moment this isn't possible as I'm in the process of putting my annuals in.

So, two questions: is there a 'quick fix' just now so that I have a lovely show of annuals and summer-flowering herbaceous and, what's best to dig in in the autumn? I have access to a fair few bags of peat (been sitting  in someone's barn for a few years), and could probably get hold of a pile of manure.

Any and all suggestions welcome please  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Problem border
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:20 »
Everything (including the hedge) will enjoy more organic matter being dug in, but in my last garden the only way I could get a decent border was to lay a soaker hose underneath a mulch.

That way the plants had some water to use, otherwise, the hedges strip every last drop of moisture from the soil.

Goosegirl

Re: Problem border
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:40 »
What things are able to grow in your border? I have a large sycamore tree at one end of my garden and have grown foxgloves in the dry shade ok. If you dig, you may find the beech roots impede your progress so do what you can then add more organic matter on top - mushroom compost is cheap and great.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
border flowers help

Started by muddifoot on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 21:10
by wengren
xx
New border advice

Started by Sparkyweb on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 21:21
by Sparkyweb
cheesy
Border/Hedge.

Started by vicki bates on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 12:08
by RichardA
xx
perennials for border?

Started by mickbrov on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 13:13
by Agatha

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.