just recieved an allotment...cant wait to get started....

• 12 Replies

miss.happy85

yay finally recieved an allotment...slightly overgrown...loads of old rotton carpet...where to start???  and tips?
2013-03-17 10.05.49.jpg

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Re: just recieved an allotment...cant wait to get started....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51 »
Ooh, how exciting, and the perfect time of year too!  :)

I would work on it a bit at a time.  It looks like there's a lot of clearing to do, so rather than trying to clear the whole plot at once, clear it in stages and get things planted then move on and do a bit more.  Good luck!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

kurwin

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:53 »
congrates on your new plot i think :blink: .Seriously best thing to do is clear a patch at one end where you can stack rubbish and compostible material in seperate piles. Also don't try to do everything in one go,aiming to clear it in sections can help as each time you complete one you feel your getting somewhere have fun :lol:

miss.happy85

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:56 »
also any tips for things to do at an allotment for kids...or fun ideas...i have an 8month old, 2 year old and 4 year old......they have planted seeds at home and we are making a scarecrow..for their enjoyment!    any ideas of activities for them would be great

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03 »
I'd clear a spot for a compost heap first, then maybe burn all that bramble, maybe give it all a quick strim so you can see the woods so to speak. Just keep an eye out for useful stuff like fruit bushes in amongst all that mess. Then get a small bed cleared as soon as you can so you can get something growing. That way it won't feel so unrewarding while you're clearing the rest of it. Nothing worse than breaking your back and thinking you're not getting anything in return ;)

kurwin

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:07 »
my kids made a wildlfe corner down our plot really easy just get them to pile up sticks a few stones a tray of water and hey presto instint bug hunting area. Also gave them there own area to dig and grow what they want in with no grownup interfering but mine are a little older so would recomend you get them a few pots to water when they are there all kids like watering

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:45 »
also any tips for things to do at an allotment for kids...or fun ideas...i have an 8month old, 2 year old and 4 year old......they have planted seeds at home and we are making a scarecrow..for their enjoyment!    any ideas of activities for them would be great

Get a cheap sandpit (or make one) - it keeps my 4 and 5 year olds busy for hours.  I managed to get one with a lid from Asda for about £7 last year.   I also got hold of couple of child wheelbarrows and watering cans and a couple of large sand spades and they like to help me shovel out compost and put it on the beds.  My little boy even asked for a lawnmower for Christmas!

I took a few of my little boys larger cars up there for him to play with - he runs them up and down the paths.

They have also just started to take an interest in planting, so have planted peas, broad beans, squashes and sunflowers.

Now they are a little older, we are going to be building an insect hotel.  I am busy stockpiling materials for the project. 

My children love the allotment, they can run around in the sun, but you do have to watch them with water - there are water butts and low water storage everywhere.  Glass is another problem - you forget there are old windows everywhere used for coldframes and cloches.

I had to keep mine fairly confined to our plot only until they were old enough to understand they are not to go on other plots unless invited and that people are at the allotment to work - not just to chat to them!  I have been fortunate that many of the old plotholders love seeing the children at the site.  The children often go with them to their plots to pick flowers, or come back with little vegetable presents!

I would also really recommend you get them puddle suits - here are my two in theirs:

Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:48 »
Here's the link to the site advice
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php

There is a lot of interesting info, month by month advice etc if you click on Allotment home on left of top banner  ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51 »
Oh, by the way, my little boy is filling some cut down milk bottles - a project we did last year - growing strawberries in milk cartons - recommended by Aelf:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=59213.msg692452#msg692452

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 15:20 »
best of luck and dont try do it all at once, mine was similar 2summers ago ,id strim try move any large debris,suprising wat u find i had a garage door amongst other things hidden on mine,once youve strimmed id start at top do small beds and were youre not workin id cover with plastic tarpaulin looks unsitely but youd be suprised when you turn it back ,and finally enjoy it im sure you will,plus once you think youve finished youll want to try improve something lol

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 17:07 »
Hi we have a newborn and a two-year old and like others have said, a corner for their own planting/digging (helps keeps your plants safe too!), their own tools esp watering can, plus we've kept some of the plot as lawn for the summer partly because it was too much to dig over this year, but also to have running around space. we're currently working on a scarecrow which is fun and I loved the insect hotel idea someone mentioned! good luck!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 17:11 »
I'd agree that clearing a section at a time - and actually planting & gromwing something in that section is pretty important. I've seen a number of newly taken plots get abandoned after a lot of hard graft - all work and no play and all that...
Good luck with it and enjoy!  ;)

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 23:16 »
Take plenty of photos from the beginning easy to track your progress
A lot of the garden centers do kids tools fairly cheap
Lots of plants that grow quickly will keep them interested.
Try a raised bed for them to look after get them to riddle the soil they will love it
Best of luck and happy gardening
John
A gardeners work is never done.

xx
How long did you have to wait to get your allotment ?

Started by Petite graine on Grow Your Own

65 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 21:13
by pigguns
xx
Just recieved my bundle of joy

Started by MrBurns on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2008, 12:58
by MrBurns
xx
Pea Weevil, any advise gratfully recieved

Started by brendabel18 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 17:20
by DD.
clip
My First Allotment is All Grass ... What advice can you give to get me started?

Started by soniaTSC on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 24, 2021, 20:25
by madcat

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.