What to do about waterlogging...

• 22 Replies

fatcat1955

Re: What to do about waterlogging...
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 13:15 »
Because the water table is so high where you are, digging a sump will do no good. You will just suck water from all around. water find's it's own level so it will flow in from everywhere. This year has been exceptional for rain so take it on the chin and pray we get some warm dry weather soon.

Headgardener22

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 12:52 »
Despite the snow that we've had recently, when I went to the allotment yesterday, the waterlevel had dropped a few inches and the ground whilst wet was no longer waterlogged. How is yours doing?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 14:13 »
Despite the snow that we've had recently, when I went to the allotment yesterday, the waterlevel had dropped a few inches and the ground whilst wet was no longer waterlogged. How is yours doing?

I have been following this thread because my plot is in the same state as everyone else's.  I had pools on both sides of the path at the bottom end of my plot.  On one side I dug a ditch and am going to plant it up with things that don't mind getting their feet wet, and the other side I have made a hugelkultur bed in the hopes that the soil will be lifted out of the water.

The bottom of the ditch I dug to try and divert the flood water is just a muddy patch now, and the hugelkultur bed is just a big mound of soil which looks quite dry and I will plant with courgettes and lettuces when the weather permits.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 14:16 by Annen »
Anne

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 19:06 »
That hugelkultur sounds really fascinating... even if I didn't understand everything they were talking about in the linked article!

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 21:30 »
That does sound an interesting way to get round the problem, please keep us posted Annen on how it all develops.
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 21:41 »
I had waterlogged areas - I think it depends on the soil type and underlying sub soil . I dug down and found clay - I tried to double dig and found a hard pan - sort of blue silt stone skerry running through the clay but forming an impervious barrier - it was impossible to dig - but my purchase of a mattock proved the answer - broke it up - it was about 2" thick and the soil underneath was clay but drained eventually and the waterlogged area  disappeared- hard work but worth it. Sometimes you have to dig deep to find the answer...

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 19:24 »
Just been up the allotment and after 3 days rain half of it is like mud soup! I just sank down into it in some places and in others it looked fine until I tried digging and found a pond directly under the surface. the worst of it is that its coming up from the ground, because some of the affected areas were covered. wierdly, the other (dry) half doesn't look that much higher, just a tiny slope's difference, I hardly dare dig down. I'll be looking back over the advice here and try not to be too despondent...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 19:39 »
My sympathies!   :(
It is surprising the difference in parts of the country, we have had very little rain for the past three weeks and my plot, which was awash a couple of months ago, is having to be watered.

question
How do i stop waterlogging?

Started by shelley bobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 22:14
by Yorkie
xx
Drainage/waterlogging

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 09:44
by crh75
xx
Waterlogging - An Opportunity?

Started by all0tment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 13:23
by savbo

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 34 queries.