clearing ground - question

• 16 Replies

al78

clearing ground - question
« on: February 14, 2013, 23:32 »
If I am wanting to clear ground of weeds in order to create a bed, is it ok to do this if the soil is wet if I work backwards? In other words, I stand on the uncleared ground and dig a strip in front of me then walk backwards and dig another strip and so on? In this situation the soil is broken up after I have walked on it and it is not further walked on so is this likely to work in terms of getting around the issue of avoiding compaction of heavy wet soil?

There are suggestions of another cold snap towards the end of February and if this becomes more likely, then it would be good to dig the last two beds in my allotment and let the frost break up the soil.

yaxley

Re: clearing ground - question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 23:38 »
Personally i dont like to walk on the ground when it,s wet ..Would rather turn it over if it was frosty and hard ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 23:39 »
If it's sticking to your boots, keep off - you'll compact the soil.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 19:08 »
If the soil is too sticky for digging, do you have anything you can cover the soil with to let it dry out a little?  We should have a bit of sun down South here this weekend and so it might be a good idea to do this - either black plastic that will heat up a little or a tarpaulin, or something similar?
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 19:48 »
I don't think it works like that when the ground is this wet - a plastic cover on top just seems to stop evaporation.
I think it needs the sun and wind to get at it to dry it - fingers crossed for some nicer weather ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 22:21 »
I agree with Mum.

It has to be open to the elements. A bit of sun & wind will soon dry the top out.  Evaporation's not going to happen if it's covered.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:24 »
Its impossible to dig if the soil is too wet, however the technique you describe seems good, working backworks so you are on your undug soil, thats certainly how i dig, you could also use a board to stand on to keep you off that soil, and your boots less muddy if the soil is wet or heavy

Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 13:03 »
If the soil is sticking to your boots you are merely moving good soil off your ground elsewhere - seems not a good idea to me but there you go.  :lol:

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 14:56 »
I work backwards while im digging and so does everybody else on the allotment site where i am, cant say its a problem because you are breaking the ground up when your digging, ive got planks to stand on but find they get in the way haveing to move them all the time, i would like to meet somebody who does`nt ever stand on there soil, unless of coures they have raised beds. Try and dig in as much rotted manuar or compost as you go.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 14:57 by richy »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 15:20 »
I don't think we're saying don't use that method to dig - rather we're saying if it's too wet then don't dig it at all  :D

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 19:10 »
silly me ::) yes keep off the soil if its to wet.

al78

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 00:04 »
Thanks for the advice. I was down there today to help erect a shed on the community allotment and the soil has dried out somewhat from last week, although it is still a bit wet and sticky. As the weather forecast is for dry conditions through next week I will leave it another week then have another look next weekend; if it has dried out some more then I will have a go at digging the rest of my plot.

The thing is that in another month or so it will be time to start sowing things and it is nice to have the ground prepared in advance rather than trying to do everything at once. Digging the ground in advance also means any perennial weed roots I have missed when digging will start sprouting shoots so I can dig them out before sowing.

I really would love to incorporate manure in at some point prior to sowing (not on the carrot bed though) but at the moment I only have access to fresh manure which means this won't be suitable until the autumn. I also have the issue of being unable to transport large loads of manure to the allotment and I need tons of it as I only started in November and thus didn't initially have any compost/manure on site.

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24 »
All of those that got our allotments last year around October / November especially if they have not been worked for some time are in the same boat ... I feel your pain  ;)

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31 »
All of those that got our allotments last year around October / November especially if they have not been worked for some time are in the same boat ... I feel your pain  ;)
Sailing the same boat here! I got mine beginning of January and not a s o d dug yet :-/
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Mr Sheen

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 12:13 »
And me, got mine last week, can only look at it!

xx
clearing ground

Started by vespaman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:09
by vespaman
xx
Clearing ground in a new allotment

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 20:39
by Andycorker
xx
Clearing unused ground

Started by Living in Hope on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 22:08
by teasmade!
xx
potatoes for clearing weed covered ground?

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 16:02
by DD.

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 30 queries.