Update on our hen with a prolapse

• 0 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Update on our hen with a prolapse
« on: September 07, 2009, 17:03 »
Well thanks to all the support from the folks on here and alot of TLC from us and some friends who were staying with us at the time and also are experienced hen keepers our girl with the prolapse now has a beautiful clean vent and is doing all the normal chicken type things.  Now I have finally resolved the question of 'to oyster shell or not' (which seemed to be a confusing one) they have a nice bowl of this too. 

Now actually she still hasn't laid (over 2 weeks on from the problem) and I know that we may not be quite out of the woods yet and may prolapse again (quite likely I understand), will just have to keep an eye on the whole thing.  To add insult to injury (we check her bum almost every day as she was being pecked too - this has stoped thanks to anti-peck spray) she is now moulting!!!!  It is of course moulting season and hopefully as someone else said, the longer she goes without laying the better as it gives her insides a chance to heal.  We shall see.  They are both getting poultry spice to keep their energy up and the corn ration has been (very) slightly increased again to give more energy too to help with the whole moulting thing.  She looks a bit annoyed when she is preening and a few feathers are released!

Anyway, the advice about using hemarroid cream (can't spell today) was excellent and did a good job and I think she rather liked it (that would be the topical anaesthetic in the cream then).  It did make her rear end look a bit of a mess but time, a bath and alot of self cleaning has done the job and she looks all feathery again.

Thanks for all the support and excellent advice, heres crossing various things that I won't be posting another prolapse!!!!  Off to get myself on that dispatching course now just in case!!!!!

xx
Rita update (prolapse in ex battery chuck)

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 22:06
by Selkie
xx
Update to "Chook with prolapse"

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 11:30
by littlewitch
xx
Help! Prolapse

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:56
by Pretty Chick
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:35
by Beano

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.