Bullying - how can you stop it?

• 8 Replies

steaders

Bullying - how can you stop it?
« on: August 30, 2009, 18:02 »
Our poor little hen Gladys died on Wednesday. The lady we bought our 4 hens from (including Gladys) kindly offered us a replacement hen which we collected today. I have read on this thread how a newly introduced hen can be picked on but this poor little thing has been bullied incessantly all day by the 3 others. They have only been here 3 weeks and yet they have put this new hen through hell today. So much so that we have brought in doors for a bit of peace and quite.

Any suggestions on what I can do I'm loathe to leave her in with the others. Play ground bullying has got nothing on this lot. >:(

nzdunn

Re: Bullying - how can you stop it?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 18:28 »
It might have been better to of introduced her into the coup at nite when the girls had gone to bed and they would have woken up with each other, introducing 2 new girlies would probably have been better, if you had a separate run or something for the new girl so they can all still see each other.    Nicky

steaders

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 18:31 »
OMG, I've just done a search on bullying and it seems it can last for weeks. Perhaps I'll just take this new hen back. Not sure I can put up with this, I hate bullying of all kinds.

steaders

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 18:37 »
Thanks Nikki, we have brought her indoors in a cat basket with a cardboard box on the end. Not much room but that is all we had. We see how they get on tomorrow. Only a smallish run so I'm limited to what I can do to separate them.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 18:47 »
We use Mr Squirty ( a squirt bottle of water) when the bullying gets viscious.  Also we have reintroduced our broody hen back out when there are only two other hens about instead of the whole flock.    Hope this helps a bit.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 18:48 »
I introduced 2 new hens a few weeks ago now and at first i thought yeah they love each other and then it started, it was alwful and horrible to watch but i had read about other peoples experiences on here and let them get on with it, settled down after a few days and by the end of the week they were all best buddies, if your gonna do it, do it dont keep taking her out, its the pecking order and they are establishing it,  although 1 against 3 shes gonna get it from all angels, it might help if she had somewhere to hide for a safe place.    Perhaps when your girls have gone to bed tonite and its dark put the new girl in with them, i have heard you can rub some vinegar on them so they all smell the same.   Nickyx

steaders

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:16 »
Thanks Nicky, it's Steaders OH here, he's cooking the breakfast! We bought our beautiful new Black Rock indoors last night in an extended cat basket and she is now in the outside run alongside the coop but separated so far. We plan to try them later but maybe just putting one of the girls with her rather than all 3. Also. like the idea of trying them when they are in the coop, I agree with you that keeping them apart won't work, they have to get together sometime but so hate to see the little one suffering and also worried about them going for her eyes. I did also try the water trick yesterday but can't sit and watch them all day.

One of our 3, Tilly, is the spitting image of your beautiful Winnie, she is normally the most timid of our girls but she certainly showed us new side of her personality yesterday and is now known as Atilly the hen!!

Steaders OH

Ruby Red

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40 »
Could you not get another. Have you the room. Its a bit cruel to just get one as the bullying is concentrated. . I have a run that I was able to split with a bit of plastic fencing , the cheap stuff from BnQ.I tied it to the wire of the coop. I put food and drink in there. In the morning I used to lift the 2 new ones out and put them in the new bit. while I was at work. Then in the afternoon let them all out. Good luck.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

steaders

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:42 »
We do have room in the garden and run but are concerned that the size of the coop is too small for 5 to roost in. I read somewhere that keeping chickens was relaxing! This morning I have put her in the outdoor run with Maud the big bluebelle and so far there if just a bit of bumping and hassling but no real violence as there seemed to be yesterday. Steaders is making a divider with wire mesh in the centre to put between the roost and nest box so that we can put them all in together tonight but she will be in a separate compartment. We are both around this week so will be able to keep an eye on things and have a squirty water spray ready!

xx
bullying hen

Started by dawnsmith on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 09:16
by kimT
xx
Bullying

Started by bcmtngrl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2006, 23:43
by edines33
xx
Bullying

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 15:17
by chasechicken
xx
Bullying .............. Why?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:52
by SurreyLass

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.