Can they move into an enclosed coop with heat at 4 weeks

• 12 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
It looks as if the trunk I have will be outgrown by approx 4 weeks. Dear hubby would make something else if required. I was wondering if there was any reason that I couldn't put them in the raised chicken house with the heat lamp. They would be locked in to make sure they didn't get cold unless the weather was warm and i could let them in the run for an appropriate time. They would be in darkness other than the lamp so I could mesh the access to the nest boxes but open the lid during the day so they got daylight.
Just an idea to save hubby more work, but obviously want best for the chicks.

daisy1990

Re: Can they move into an enclosed coop with heat at 4 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 13:34 »
you would need to be really careful- hens dont do well in drafts and coops can be drafty, as they get bigger and feather up they will roost together and fluff up to keep warm, but chicks are less able to do this.  Also there is still danger of ground frosts until June so a heat lamp may struggle to keep the temperature up overnight if the chicks are outdoors
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 13:56 »
Thanks for the feedback. I will consider what the weather is like at the time. We tend to not get frosts here on the coast now. The coop is going to be seletexed for insulation under the final layer of ply, so don't really think they will be much cooler than the garage, as anything bigger than the box they are in won't fit in my utility room.

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 13:58 »
I think they'd be better being cramped inside than cold outside.
Give them some "free ranging time" inside if they look like they really need it.
How big is the trunk?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 15:37 »
There is a photo on my post introducing our chicks with photos. I guess I just have to react to these things when I can see they need it. It's just hard to imagine them growing to that sort of size in a short period of time.

Dominic

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 16:08 »
Yeah they'll definatly be outgrowing that at four weeks.
Its scary how quick they grow, we wouldnt get 2 in the box we brought all 4 of them home in, and they had loads of space.

In another four weeks, they should be fine outside in the run during the day, and then back inside over night, which would help a lot.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 16:20 »
What did you put yours in at 4 weeks then. Mine are flying already, hence the wire mesh roof was made. Just wondering what I could get hubby to build. I guess they could go in the toilet in the garage if we put a barrier across the door and lined the floor, but Im not sure that would be any warmer than the coop. Still using the lamp in either situation.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 17:36 »
do you all keep the chicks in the house until the 6 week period, when it seems most people move them to the coop.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 18:16 »
Our chicks are about 5 weeks old now and we've just moved them down to the shed, they've been in an indoor rabbit cage since we got them and are still going to be in there for a bit longer until it's warmer outside. They still have their heat lamp but we only turn it on for them at night now for them to get used to not having it.
I'm hoping they can go out soon, the shed's only little and I now have to climb over bags of animals food to get in, and the chicks are making it smelly!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 18:36 »
If the coop is draught free they will be OK outside during the day if the weather is mild, and the chicks have a reasonable covering of feathers.

I have some 4 weeks old, and I put them outside yesterday, no heat... BUT our weather is very mild (20°C during the day and 10°C at night), and there are 25 chicks to make a very decent huddle.

If you are a bit worried, you can use a dull emitter or electric hen during the night if you only have a few chicks.  I wouldn't use a heat lamp in a coop due to the fire risk.

Dominic

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 19:00 »
i have two 30x20 inch dog crates.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 20:52 »
My apogies, it's not a heat lamp it's a lamp with a 60 w. Fireglow bulb.
I have a neighbour who has 5 dogs and every type of domestic pet imaginable so I will go and see her tomorrow to see if she has a cage I can borrow.

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 21:22 »
Hopefully she can help you out with a cage or something similar then  :)

Ill have mine in an indoor rabbit cage and I hope they won't outgrow that before they can go outside!

xx
Have to move girls, will they be ok in this heat?

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 18:16
by rileyfin
xx
heat lamp in coop advice

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 21:24
by pepsi100
xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76
xx
How long shall I keep my hen and chick enclosed

Started by French Chick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 14:50
by joyfull

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 34 queries.