Dirty Bum

• 8 Replies

Toosje

• Experienced Member
Dirty Bum
« on: February 20, 2018, 14:53 »
Dear fellow chicken lovers,

I am new here and have a question about one of my little hens. I have read a few posts with the same topic, but didn't come across a similar problem.

One of my ladies has a dirty bum. After a week I phoned a vet who is specialized in Poultry (he is new to me, I just moved to this part of the country) and told him I have a hen with runny poo. We agreed I will gather poo for 3 days and take it to him for examination.

Last night I took her in: she slept in the living room, this morning I looked in her night stay and all the poo was firm... ? Her bum looked cleaner..
So I phoned the vet again and he said: if the poo is firm she has no worms or parasites and I do not need to examine her poo.
I did a little questioning, but still I feel a little lost in this. A chicken does not change poo when nothing is going on.
She a silky, going on 4 this spring, lays eggs once every while (winter time), is her active, happy, curious and on the look out for treats self, as always.

The thing I changed about 2 months ago is their coop. I bought a new one, thought it might be droughty (closed the laying part and this is where they sleep at night..) and so I am wondering: can a chicken get too cold at night and there fore have runny poo, only at night.
Does any one recognize this or maybe other ideas about what could be wrong?

NB. I have never wormed: my old vet told me when there is no suspicion of worms, there is no need and the new vet agrees.
Many Thanks. Toosje

Toosje

• Experienced Member
Re: Dirty Bum
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 16:59 »
Edit:

In the afternoon I always let them free range and now her bum is dirty again. There is not much green left due to winter, all the rain and frost but lots of leaves to go through and a 'compost heap'. Could it be she gets to many worms or ..?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:51 »
Have a look at this thread Toosje.  It might give you some clues as to whether your chicken is doing normal poo or something that needs a bit more investigation. 

Don't look at this while you are eating your lunch  ;)

4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide in Poultry FAQs and other Information - Page 1 of 11
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:51 by New shoot »

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:00 »
Thank you New Shoot,

Her poo looks like the poo in the second picture.. That is why I feel a little lost in this: her poo looks healthy but her bum has been looking dirty for over a week now..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10 »
It could be she is coming to the end of her laying life and is laying the odd soft shell egg.  These can burst easily and make a mess.  Or it could she has found something to eat that is making her produce very wet poo.

Sorry to disagree with your vet, but if you have not wormed for all 4 years of her life and she free-ranges, she almost certainly has worms.  If it was me, I would treat the whole flock and see if that improves things for her (no point treating just her as she will be reinfected by the rest).  Here in the UK a lot of us use a product called Flubenvet.  I buy mine mail order. 

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:29 »
Yes that is off course an option: they are not so very young anymore. At this moment she is the only one laying: one to two eggs a week. She has been broody about every six weeks her whole 'fertile' life so she had a lot of breaks in laying. They are getting a little softer lately, so I ordered special calcium beside the broken sea shells: they have never been keen on that.

The reason I discussed worming with my vet is that here, when I started with chickens, I kept reading about worming and how one should regularly worm :)
I need to go to the pet shop this afternoon for my cat and will bring something suitable or otherwise order it through the internet. The whole bunch will be wormed :)

Thank you for thinking with me.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 16:29 »
So.. I went to this big garden center / pet store here but they didn't have anything to worm chickens. What they do have though is past to worm cats. Can I use this? It is for tape- maw- hook? and whip? worms. It comes in an easy to measure screw tube.. 

Would it work for chickens? I tried to find specific anti worm stuff for chickens but it only goes through te vet.

I read somewhere I need to clean the soil with worm killer!? That would be quite impossible because they free range on 600m2.. What to do?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 20:18 »
I don't think I have anywhere locally that sells chicken wormer either, so use an on-line poultry supplies firm.  If you search for Flubenvet for sale on Google, you should come up with something.  I really don't know if cat wormer would be safe to use on chickens.

If your chickens are confined and are heavily infested with worms, it is usually advised to treat the soil in their run.  As yours free-range, I don't think you need to worry about that.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:41 »
Ok, I'll have a further search what I can use: I found quite a few articles about how efficient flubenvet is and an other substance, but no selling points as it seems to through vets. There are quite a few herbal things on the market, but they are more for preventive use.

For companies over seas a credit card is often needed..

To be continued :)

xx
dirty bum...

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 14:09
by Jeanette
xx
Dirty bum

Started by Diddy Gardener on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 19:01
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Dirty Bottom

Started by leznwynne on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 23:20
by kooringa
xx
Dirty Eggs

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 13:52
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 40 queries.