bald bums??

• 10 Replies

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
bald bums??
« on: February 23, 2013, 23:35 »
 3 oout of 4 chooks have had bald bums for a while. Non look as though they have been pecked as the skin looks clean and no sores. They have been like it for a while but are all still laying well and are very healthy. I have a plastic coop that has fresh bedding weekly and poo picked between.the chooks still with feathers went almost bald but soon grew back lovely thick feathers. Not sure what to do and im a bit worried their poor bums will freeze so any help would be apreciated  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: bald bums??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:21 »
Check closely for lice around the vent area.

If no lice it can be part of the moult.  I had a Black Rock that moulted and the others sneakily removed the new feather growth.  Then it stopped growing for months and she now has a fluffy bum after a partial moult and regrowth.  I tried all sorts to stop the pecking, purple spray etc. but nothing worked.  They could be removing the new growth themselves as it must be uncomfortable when you see the new quills coming through.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 11:24 »
If some of our girls start to lay again before they've completed their moult, they can't seem to grow new feathers AND lay eggs, so you may have to wait a while before their feathers re-grow properly, and like ANHBUC said, the others or she herself could be gently plucking the new quills.

Must be itchy for her, or interesting for the other girls to see!

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 14:20 »
Like i say 3 out of 4 have this problem i have checked for anything like lice etc and no signs.i didnt think they wrre being plucked as they dont look sore. Grannieannie when yours lay but cant seem to grow back feathers do you give them anything extra in their food that might help regrowth?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 14:38 »
They sometimes get poultryspice, but I don't worry too much about them.  The feathers will come back eventually, and their house is nice and warm.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 16:25 »
They don't look sore even when they are plucked out.  Can you see any new growth or quills emerging?  If not you will have to wait until they have another moult or partial moult. 

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 22:21 »
There is the odd full feather here and there on their bum but no new quills. Do you think its worth putting something on them to protect the skin??

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48 »
Mine was fine without anything.  I think it bothers us more than them. 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 22:01 »
A couple of our girls are hen-pecked and have bald bottoms including my Anastasia who was quite the bossy boots when we first got them!

They don't seem to be bothered about being bald. I was using a stinky spray but the skin looks ok. Anastasia gets a very red bottom when she wants to lay, but the skin goes whiter again after she's laid so I don't think it's anything to worry about! :D

Her feathers have never grown back incidently.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 22:50 »
Thankyou all for replys i will just keep an eye on them and hope their feathers grow back after the next moult  :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:01 »
I have exactly the same problem, 4 out if my 5 girls have very bald bums and some have bald legs as well. They all moulted but carried on laying so the feathers are just not coming back. They do look funny!

My old girl had her first complete moult a few months back (she is 4) and now is back to her glamorous pristine white self and has started laying again.

Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

xx
bald bums !!!

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 11:07
by ANHBUC
xx
Bald Bums

Started by chestnutwizard on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 11:58
by kegs
xx
bald bums and fronts

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 19:34
by Amy6
xx
Feather plucking and bald bums

Started by Plot30 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 15:57
by Plot30

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 34 queries.