Chickens and poisonous plants.

• 6 Replies

Butterfly

Chickens and poisonous plants.
« on: June 26, 2010, 22:42 »
My 3rd and final question for the day!!

I've just been reading a chicken website that lists the plants that are poisonous to chickens.
These include elderberry, daffodil, hydrangea, clover and buttecups. (A lot of these I had no idea were a problem.)
We have all these in are garden. The elderberry overhangs where we have previously kept are chickens and never seemed a problem.
We are planning on putting the new house near a climbing hydrangea. Is this an absolute no? Will chickens eat stuff they shouldn't or does instinct take over? 

pigeonpie

Re: Chickens and poisonous plants.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 23:34 »
Our girls free range and have access to daffodils, elderberry, hydrangea, clover, buttercups and even some yew.  We haven't had any problems yet...
The girls are ex-bats so wouldn't even know what they should and shouldn't eat. 

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 22:52 »
My girls have a pen overhung by elderberry, no problems so far, but would like to hear from more experienced members
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 18:57 »
All that is in our garden too!! I've seen them digging next to it all, but have never seen eating it!! No problems to report here!!  :D :D

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 21:50 »
Mine have eaten all the ivy they can reach in my garden and they are fine but ivy is apparently poisonous ?
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 23:26 »
I keep seeing lots of conflicting comments on clover being poisonous to chickens - including some scientific stuff which involved feeding clover to chickens with no harm done. Mine eat it fine with no issues. They also ate quite a bit of our daffodils. They wisely leave the lords and ladies alone.

Generally chickens seem quite sensible about what they eat - I wouldnt worry too much
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21 »
There is always a lot of debate on the site when poisonous plants are being discussed.  I am always concerned when it is said that the chooks did not come to any harm having eaten something that is supposed to be poisonous. My concern being How do you know? Just because something poisonsous is ingested does not mean that the animal will groan clutch its tummy and rollover and die. There may be organ damage that results in an earlier and, may be painful death, for example but that may be 12, 24 etc months down the line. Please take care. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Poisonous plants for chickens

Started by Polly757 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:45
by Vember
xx
Are any plants/weeds poisonous for chickens?

Started by allstars_princess on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 23:22
by lucylou
xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 08:59
by Sassy
xx
Poisonous Plants

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 19:07
by SoniaBA

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.