• Experienced Member
water melon
« on: February 19, 2011, 16:30 »
did you ever growed water melon?
any advice welcome pls

TheSpartacat

Re: water melon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 00:25 »
I'd be quite interested in this knowing if anyone had any experience of this too? Is it different to growing regular melons?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:47 »
Not looking too good at the moment, is it?

emotion-2003, you're not being ignored, if the people who have viewed this thread had tried it, I'm sure they would have replied.

As already asked, perhaps you could clarify your definition of "water melon".
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:49 »
I'm think that kristen tried to grow some watermelons last year, have to wait for his comments  ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56 »
I did, but I'm afraid I didn't give them any care and attention, so they were left in their pots way too long before being planted out and I didn't devote time to looking after them ... hence I didn't respond to the thread earlier.

What it came down to was the family saying to me "But do we really like Water Melon that much anyway?" and being sceptical that home-grown was going to be significantly better "flavour" than shop bought. So I kind of let it lapse, rather than really making it succeed.  Sorry ... I'm not much help I'm afraid ...

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 14:07 »
Well emotion-2003, I guess that means it'll be a strange adventure into the unknown! We could be pioneers on this forum!!!  8)  ;)  :lol:

I have some watermelon seeds called Black Diamond. I'm not sure if i'll be giving them a go this year or next, but this is some info i found on them:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5433902_grow-watermelon-seeds.html

Seems a bit like growing pumpkins really, rather than the training method used for regular melons.

Having a little hunt around, there seems to be mixed consensus on how much to water them. With some people having little luck when they watered little.
I always go by the theory that watery, juicy veg (like cukes, pumpkin etc) need a lot of water ,so i would ignore the eHow article about "Do not water the watermelon plants unless drought conditions exist."
My gut feeling tells me thats wrong. I don't 1000% trust eHow articles as they seem to be written by anyone... but they're a good starting point.

I also would think that they would do better in a polytunnel, as they are a heat loving plant and my guess is that growing them outdoors in the uk would mean trouble getting them ripe before frosts, so cover would be helpful.

Where are you based? If you fill in your location on your profile, it will mean any advice you get would take your climate into account too?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 14:18 by TheSpartacat »

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 16:08 »
I grew some in my cold frame last year, they got to about 5" but were ripe, no different to growing other Melons.
010 (400x300).jpg

TheSpartacat

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 17:38 »
I grew some in my cold frame last year, they got to about 5" but were ripe, no different to growing other Melons.

So did you tie them up, and support the watermelons in 'slings' as you would do with regular melons?
*confused how you'd do that under a cold frame*

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 17:40 »
Obviously I don't know how Nash grew them, but when I've seen them abroad they've just been grown on the ground in the open (obviously it's warmer there); no slings. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 17:47 »
Mine trailed along the ground.  Water melon get pretty big, so I suspect that ground-crawling is preferable to slings. Mine crawled a long way - but I didn't stop them, as I would have done for normal Melons - no idea what the correct method is, none of my trusted gardening books appear to have ever heard of Water melon!

jimmytheshed

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 20:15 »
I grew water melon last year (only 1 plant from saved seed). It grew 3 melons, 1 large 2 very small. large 1 12kg, didnt make it home by the time everyone ate some at the plot including the neighboures. everyone loved it. I shall try again but only let 1 melon grow on the plant. Sorry forgot to say they were in the polytunnel watered well, feed with tom. feed.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 20:26 »
thank you so much for your usefull comments.but %100 i ll try to growe my water melon this year and i ll share the pictures.wish me luck :)

jimmytheshed

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 20:40 »
Have you saved seeds or not? forgot to say i let them grow all over the place and put the melons on up turned plant pots. also let the plants start to die off before you pick, the 1st year i had a monster melon but was not ripe when cut open and an old lady at the plots told me when she was in greece they wait for the plants to die off, next year i done just that and it was fine. good luck :)

xx
water melon

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 12:02
by Kristen
xx
I´ve got a water melon at last!! and veg update

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 21:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Unknown melon variety - if it's even a melon!

Started by Tinkerbell264 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 21:20
by 8doubles
xx
melon help

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:52
by Kristen

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 35 queries.