Help urgently needed - rescued baby ducklings on the way

• 12 Replies

Helenaj

As some of you may be aware, i am planning on having ducks next year. However, my friend has just rung to state that he has a couple of ducklings he rescued from a cat that had been terrorising them and it had already killed a couple. He doesn't know where they are from - he found them cornered in a street. He's had them for a couple of hours and there is no sign of mum or where they may have come from. He thinks they may have been dumped.

I've agreed to take them but what do I feed them? I know chick crumb is harmful because it's medicated and there is no duck food in my local feed place. I have loads of mixed poultry corn which is mainly wheat, but i worry that it may not be suitable for them yet. I've not seen them to know how old they are but they must be pretty small and may still need heat.

Will they require water to bathe or are they too small yet?

I've small drinkers and feeders galore and a black light heat lamp from when I used to hatch chicks but have no experience whatsoever with ducks yet - these have turned up far earlier that I was planning!

So to cut a long story short my questions are:
1. what can i feed them and if the wheat is okay, will i need to soak it.
2. Water rerquirements - just for drinking or bathing as well?

(I don't even know at this stage if they can swim!).

Heeelllllppp!

Helena
x

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Help urgently needed - rescued baby ducklings on the way
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 17:01 »
If the chick crumb is smallholders it is fine for ducks and give it to them dry. In regards to water only give them a chick drinker or mushroom drinker - I know it sounds daft but they can actually drown if you give them bowls of water. If they have been with Mum it is likely they can swim but don't try and find out you are better off not knowing at this stage.  :) Good luck  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 17:44 »
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately all of the chick crumb i have locally is medicated so I can't use it and the nearest other stockist is 20 miles away.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 18:17 »
Any chance of budgie food, something like http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/bird-supplies/bird-food/bird-seeds/special-foods-and-mixtures/bogena-eggfood-1kg.html? (I have used it a couple of times in the past when I have struggled to get young birds to eat. I am just worried there isn't enough in wheat - if needs must for the short term.... :)

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 18:25 »
They have just arrived - cheeping very loudly and but VERY active. However, they have not touched the water i have put out for them.  I've cooked some sugar free oatmeal and that is cooling so I'm hoping it will do for tonight. hubby is taking the day off tomorrow to visit the feed stockist and get duck crumb.
I'm not sure of their age, they are small (about the size of a small coffee mug) but have a full covering of the fine down so must be at least a week old. Do you think I need to dip beaks into the water or will they be okay - they don't seem to be new hatchlings.

I've got the heat lamp but have not yet put it on becuase they seem so active and the house is warm. If they start to huddle I'll put it on then.

sorry for all of the questions but I am majorly stressed right now and want to do the right thing.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 18:41 »
You are fine. It is not easy knowing what to do for the best - I am just as bad. After several years of faffing I found if you left them they would feed and drink on there own. As there are only two tho I would be tempted to put a lamp on. Just check on them often (but try and leave it a bit longer than every other minute  ;) ) then try and reduce how often you check them. Hopefully they will settle and you will catch them eating and drinking.

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 20:09 »
Thanks

they have started drinking and I have then under a lamp where they seem to have settled. One is still very noisy though cheeping very loudly and almost constantly, so will have to see how it gets on. I contacted the RSPCA about feed and they stated that for the time being some chopped lettuce and green beans and some crushed dried cat or dog food (with water). I've got terriers so will try them with a little of their food later.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 20:16 »
Well once you settle don't forget the cute duckie pics  ;)  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 21:15 »
Well once you settle don't forget the cute duckie pics  ;)  :)

I shall - as soon as I've calmed down myself!  :D

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25 »
It is chick crumb without ACS that you need but duck crumb will be better. Ducklings are not waterproof from birth, hence the warning they can drown as they become waterlogged. They will not be able to deal with corn at this stage. Be aware that lettuce is likely to upset the digestive system use sparingly if at all. Are they wild ducklings or a domestic breed? You may not be able to tell at the moment. Ensure they have a saucer of water to wade in or put their heads in. As they get bigger you will be able to use bigger containers for water but as they get deeper use supervision until they get the hang of things - often straightaway. Mother Nature is wonderful. The one cheeping maybe because it is cold! You are doing a great thing and once you are more sorted will enjoy them a lot. Good luck and remember to enjoy  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 15:59 »
Hi everyone, just a quick update.

All three ducklings are settled - they spent a quiet night snuggled under the heatlamp and today are happily munching their way through duck crumb and causing havoc in their pen. I've taken away the lettuce - it was just a suggestion from the RSPCA until I could get "proper" food for them which they now have. They seem bright and active and all I can hear now are contented "cheeps". I think that last night they were just shell shocked - as was I!  Hubby even took the day off to look after them and get the essentials and I have been on pins in work, with everyone on "Duckwatch" wanting updates!  :lol:

Once I feel that they are fully settled I'll post some pics.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 16:09 »
Glad to here they have settled in well  :D

Forgot to warn you tho, ducks are messy, greedy and stinky. So be prepared for the constant mucking out  :) As bad as that sounds, it is highly likely you will wonder why you didn't get some sooner  :lol:

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 19:08 »
Ha Ha Norfolk Grey

I have found that out already!!!

I didn't put the breed in my last post - they are wild mallard ducklings. I've spoken to my friend who passed them on to me - still no sign of mum so I think she is either dead, abandoned them or they have been dumped.

xx
Ducklings and water, advice needed urgently

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 18:06
by Caralou
xx
Baby Chooks - Rescued

Started by Vi on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:45
by sunshineband
xx
Baby ducklings

Started by monicamum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 09:42
by monicamum
xx
Baby Ducklings Advice

Started by darrena on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 19:32
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.