Wild duck couple on my pond - is it ok to feed them?

• 11 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
There are two large ponds on the land behind me, where there are islands in the middle of the ponds where the ducks are safe from the fox. 

Mr Mallard and his partner have spent the Easter weekend on my pond, presumably visiting from the land behind me.  Should I be feeding them?  Or am I persuading them to stay with me, where the fox might get them?

Yesterday evening they were bobbing about on my pond and I chased them away because I was worried, but I can't do that every night.

But they do set my pond after beautifully. :)

Sparkyrog

Re: Wild duck couple on my pond - is it ok to feed them?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 22:00 »
Personally I would not ! unless there is reynard  safe nesting area .
I cook therefore I grow

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 17:08 »
Mallard can do a lot of damage in a small pond wreaking havoc with the plant life etc.

Full marks when it comes to nesting she can tuck herself away in the really hard to get at spots, even trees and rooves! :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 20:47 »
The Mallards have been spending their days here, but usually go home at night.  This evening I've just had to chase them away, because it's dusk and they were still here (I felt really mean :()

They were on the pond - do they sleep while floating?  If so, are they safe from the fox - the pond's circular and about 3.2 metres diameter.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 21:14 »
I have just checked a RSPB forum, and it appears it is against the law to chase ducks away, in case they have a nest in the vicinity.  I'm pretty sure she hasn't yet, but I better not chase her again.

I'm a little reassured 8doubles that they try to hide the nest, but I am going to worry every night that the fox will get them before they even get the chance to lay some eggs. 

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:27 »
If the drake is present a nest with a full clutch of eggs is unlikely as the drake generally plays no part in the incubation.

As for asking the RSPB should i chase a bird away the answer will always be no ! :nowink:

If the duck does lay in a position where predation is likely you will be doing it no favours by following their advice !

In that case i would move the bird on ASAP.

If the eggs are predated she will learn from it for the next clutch. :)

Having seen film footage of a swimming badger wiping out most of an Avocet colonies chicks whilst the RSPB did nothing i am losing respect for their powers of judgement and basic common sense!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 12:13 »
As these are wild birds personally I would do nothing. It is mans interference in nature that has done so much harm over the years. Whilst it is difficult to watch and worry the ducks probably know better than us anyway! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 18:09 »
As these are wild birds personally I would do nothing. It is mans interference in nature that has done so much harm over the years. Whilst it is difficult to watch and worry the ducks probably know better than us anyway! :)

I agree entirely!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 20:58 »
They are on the pond right now and I had decided to leave it to nature.  I'm going to worry, so it's timely to hear this is the right thing to do.  Thank you for your replies. 

RubyR3d

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 20:51 »
I was thrilled when today a pair of ducks landed on my pond. After they had gone I noticed a hole in the liner at the side just above water level  >:( there's gratitude for you.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 07:02 »
I was thrilled when today a pair of ducks landed on my pond. After they had gone I noticed a hole in the liner at the side just above water level  >:( there's gratitude for you.

I was going to mention that in my first post, ducks have claws and liners do not like 'em.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 08:19 »
Whoa  :ohmy: -  will their claws go through butyl liner? My duck couple have become regulars and a couple of male mallards visit too.  Not too bad if the hole is above the water line, but there is a bit where they climb out via a shelf.

Still love um whatever they do - they've already decimated my water lilies.

xx
Duck pond nearly there

Started by slowef on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 22:33
by Foxy
xx
Planning a duck pond.....

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 14:42
by lisacj
xx
Duck Pond Water

Started by Fire2920 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 16:04
by poultrygeist
xx
Need ideas for a duck pond

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:23
by joyfull

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 38 queries.