Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

• 13 Replies

WG.

« on: April 04, 2007, 02:43 »
I am hoping to follow garlic and shallots with July-sown parsnip and carrot.  Has anyone tried this before and, if so, using which varieties please?  Sowing a little earlier might be possible if I interplanted the garlic rows although this could be too fiddly to do.

I'd be quite happy to obtain baby-sized veg since keeping quality is not important.

Hopefully, by then, they'd be late enough to miss the second hatch of carrot root fly.  :evil:

penance

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:27 »
I planted carrot 'early nantes' in August last year, had a nice crop of baby carrots in mid/late October.
I dont grow Parsnips so cant help with that.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:05 »
Quote from: "penance"
I planted carrot 'early nantes' in August last year, had a nice crop of baby carrots in mid/late October.
I dont grow Parsnips so cant help with that.
Thank you penance, that should work out about right with the difference in our seasons.  Which end of August - do you remember?

Anyone else please on the parsnips.  I also wondered about these little roundish carrots I've seen in the catalogues.

penance

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:35 »
Around middle of the month i think.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35 »
I think 'snips take a lot longer to grow and they slow down or stop once the cold weather gets to them so that may not work. I've grown the parmex round carrots in containers (see my avatar) but not in open soil. They weren't too bad, I can try to check dates to see how long they cropped but I didn't plant them late.

edit: checked now, i sowed them end of march 2004 and harvested them in early july 2004.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

noshed

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:45 »
I tried Parmex late last year and they were OK. Also kohl rabi and turnips - anything that says it grows quick. I tried beetroot too but they didn't produce roots really.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:51 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
I think 'snips take a lot longer to grow and they slow down or stop once the cold weather gets to them so that may not work. I've grown the parmex round carrots in containers (see my avatar) but not in open soil. They weren't too bad, I can try to check dates to see how long they cropped but I didn't plant them late.

edit: checked now, i sowed them end of march 2004 and harvested them in early july 2004.
Thanks Heather, I couldn't remember who had the round carrots in their avatar. Looks like about 14 weeks then.

I have also seen short dumpy parsnips in the shops but, of course, no indication given as to variety.

WG.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:55 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I tried Parmex late last year and they were OK. Also kohl rabi and turnips - anything that says it grows quick. I tried beetroot too but they didn't produce roots really.
Thanks noshed, beetroot is certainly on my list to follow since it worked great for me last year after the garlic.   They weren't big when direct sown but at least with beetroot & a few other things, I can transplant.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 13:57 »
last sowing of carrots is sept for me i chuck early nantes under a cloch i like em small and sweet .maincrop wil stay over Christmas with straw on top i like flak for my man crop they grow a nice size and some real bigguns for my rabbits etc  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 14:03 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
last sowing of carrots is sept for me i chuck early nantes under a cloch i like em small and sweet .maincrop wil stay over Christmas with straw on top i like flak for my man crop they grow a nice size and some real bigguns for my rabbits etc  :wink:
Thanks MJ.  Any feelings on varieties and last dates (local to you) for small parsnips.

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 14:13 »
i only sow early parsnips mate cos thye in the ground so long i dont bother with any other but avon resistor its a strong taster and you may need to order them mate .you may like hollow crown improved if you prefer a milder one :wink:  and for carrots in te greenhouse later in the year use chantaney red cored for fast growing  :wink:

Annie

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 23:34 »
Why do you want parsnips,I grew gladiator and hollow crown and only dug out the last 3 weeks ago,left a couple but they`ve sprouted and are probably woody now,they are not too nice small,we tried eating thinnings last year,yeuck!
I planted nantes and frubund carrots last august,gave up on them but on clearing a few days ago found enough good baby carrots for a couple of meals.Will try again next year with slug protection and maybe in a bucket in the greenhouse.

WG.

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:05 »
Quote from: "Annie"
Why do you want parsnips
'Cos I have customers for them.  :)   Also, you will see that I am trying to follow garlic/shallots.

Quote from: "Annie"
they are not too nice small,we tried eating thinnings last year,yeuck!
They need a frost to improve the flavour

WG.

Parsnip 'Avonresister'
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 19:21 »
Parsnip 'Avonresister' is the one I'm going for.   If you've got seed left over then please drop me a PM.

xx
Late sowings

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2016, 22:46
by Tracybutton
xx
Late sowings of coriander / parsley

Started by Allotment_Life on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 19:10
by Blewit
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.