Think she's on her way out

• 6 Replies

Mum2mj

Think she's on her way out
« on: April 28, 2016, 13:02 »
Mrs pepperpot my pekin and my favourite isn't well. She's been pale for a few weeks and I don't think she's laid for ages either. I moved them all to the eglu on grass and wormed them 2 week ago while I took apart their run, disinfected their shed ( although no evidence of redmite) disinfected and dusted everything. Moved them all back but she's still been pale although was eating she's really thin. She's still interested in food, her crop seemed full and normal just now (I think anyway) I gave her some porridge but she's eating slowly, lying down while eating and moving slowly today. I gave her a bath as sometimes the mud sticks to her feet and there was some but I don't think that's the issue. There's no sign of lice. I could bring her in but as the ducks are in overnight and I have a toddler, im not sure if it'll stress her out more? Any ideas anyone please?  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Think she's on her way out
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19 »
If they are pale faced at this time of year, it can often indicate broodiness, but her symptoms sound more like an illness of some sort, or if she is an elderly hen, she could just be coming to the end.  They will eat even while very ill, so don't set too much store by that.

I think she probably needs a visit to the vet tbh.  They may not be able to do much for her, but you never know. If it is just an infection of some sort, antibiotics could help.  If she is thin and pale and its been going on for a while, she needs either medical help, or help to end any suffering  :(

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 22:53 »
Roberta was about 5 when she died, she didn't move around much and had chicks as well. Phylis is still going who is the same age, but not sure if she is laying.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 21:54 »
I was never sure of her age really, but it was obvious she was on her way out, she couldn't walk or lift her wings so my husband made it quick for her last night  :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42 »
Its sometimes all you can do for them  :(

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:04 »
It sounds as though you did the right thing. I know its hard but it is the best thing and shows her your respect.  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Mum2mj

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 18:18 »
Thankyou

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 30 queries.