Lavender

• 14 Replies

Spana

Lavender
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:11 »
I've grown 50 lavenders in the greenhouse from seed, they're about 3-4inches high and nice and bushy. I've been pinching them out. 

Cant decide whether to leave them in the greenhouse over winter- in which case they will need repotting- or harden them off and plant them out in the next few weeks. We usually have mild weather here until about Dec.

They're to go enmasse on a hot south facing bank, sheltered on the west but exposed on the east side.

Thanks

Goosegirl

Re: Lavender
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 13:38 »
Difficult one that - exposure on the east could be a problem but, as you say you have mild winters there until Dec, there is still time for them to get established before then. Some fleece may help if in doubt??? I had several french lavenders and, for some reason, one survived -15C last winter and is now looking happy!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 19:30 »
If they are L. angustifolia, rather than french lavender, they would be better off outside in the winter, and should survive wihtout any issue. There is still time for them to establish before they stop growing.

French lavenders are a lot less reliable, and some protection might be helpful.

The certainly sound healthy plants  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

starry

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 19:13 »
no advice sorry, but how lovely I can smell them all now  :D
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 19:17 »
Considering how much winterkill the UK suffered the past 2 winters, I'd personally keep them in a greenhouse to up their chances of survival and a bit more growth and roots. Next year plant out what survives and they'll have a better chance.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 20:19 »
They are still quite small, it would be such a shame to loose them. I think i'd keep them in the greenhouse, pot them on if you had the pots and compost and plant out next spring.
Liv.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 21:47 »
Thanks everyone :) I've been pondering on this for a couple of weeks :unsure:

Its the exposed east side thats the real worry.

I think i'm going to be a softy and leave them in for the winter altho i would prefer it if they were out of the greenhouse.  At least they should all come through the winter and be growing strong next spring. :)

Thanks again for helping me decide :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 21:52 »
The only perennial plant I lost in last year's harsh winter was a French lavender (I've lost a lot more primroses in this year's drought conditions!)

English lavender is pretty tough; I'd hedge my bets and save myself some re-potting work by planting half of them out very soon and keeping the rest indoors in reserve.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 22:00 »
The only perennial plant I lost in last year's harsh winter was a French lavender (I've lost a lot more primroses in this year's drought conditions!)

English lavender is pretty tough; I'd hedge my bets and save myself some re-potting work by planting half of them out very soon and keeping the rest indoors in reserve.

I agree with you that the english lavender is very tough indeed. I had soem plug plants outside in a tray all last winter, just on the grden path, not under any shelter.

Only one died and that was because that plug was too dry I think  :D

Spana

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 22:13 »
What are you folks doing to me.  I'm feeling a bit like the old joke, i used to be indecisive now i'm not so sure.  :lol:

They are the english sort, Munstead.  If i leave them in and they all get botrytis i'll regret doing it and if i plant them out and we have a hard winter i'll feel the same. :wacko:

Decisions decisions, sometimes i think it would be so much easier just to go and buy plants when you need them. :wub:
Thats 50 lavenders at a fiver a time :ohmy:  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 22:18 »
OK--- leave them outside but under some cover  :D

In  balmy Cornwall they really should be fine

BUT if you can't bear to do this, keep them well apart from each other inside and hardn them off well next spring  :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 22:47 »
English lavender surely calls for a truly British compromise; hedge your bets (but like SSB I can't see you having any problems in Cornwall as long as they don't have to put with waterlogged soil all winter.!  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55 »
I know how you feel Spana. I have the same 'will I won't I' with some 9cm herbs I picked up at work as we were selling them off.

I want to replant my herb bed but I'm dithering about putting the lilttle babs out now.  Think I'm going to go for re-potting and then out to the coldframe.  They can come back into the greenhouse when it really cools down and I have room then to space them out well :)

50 little Munsteads is a lot to lose.  Maybe get them outside for now, but not planted, then you have the option to whip them back in later if we get the white stuff again.  That way you are not being indecisive - just being prepared for all eventualities  ;)  That's my story and I'm sticking to it  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 08:41 »
AHA!

A coldframe (Why didn't I think of the that New shoot  :lol:)

That's the answer Spana  ;)

Spana

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52 »
AHA!

A coldframe (Why didn't I think of the that New shoot  :lol:)

That's the answer Spana  ;)

Not really for me.  There's enough room in the  greenhouse for them, i just don't want the bother of opening vents on hot days and closing up in the dark on cold nights.  Same or even more trouble with a cold frame. 

Sound a lazy whats-it dont i, but we are trying to make things a bit easier for us both as- and i hate to say it - we are starting to feel our age a bit. 

I've struggled with my veg garden this year and we're going to reduce the size for next year. :(

The lavenders are part of the making things easier plan.  Another slopey bit that's not so hot and a bit moister is being plant up with 20 hydrangeas which should cover it,  look quite nice and be fairly easy to maintain. :)

clip
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 23:35
by New shoot
xx
Lavender

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2014, 22:11
by Yorkie
clip
lavender

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 13:10
by oldgrunge
xx
Lavender

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2016, 17:35
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 40 queries.