Looking for lavender

• 9 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Looking for lavender
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:41 »
Dear forumites,

I'm looking for lavender to 'hedge' one of my borders. Don't want it to grow too tall as I'll be planting behind it.

Can you recommend and varieties that will grow well up here in the cold North? I seem to recall, years ago, reading that the fussier the lavender flower is, the hardier it it... or did I just imagine that?

Diddy xx
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Goosegirl

Re: Looking for lavender
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 13:28 »
Your best bet it to Giggle lavender nurseries in the north UK or as near as you can get to where you live; having said that, any reputable nursery will advise you on the best variety, hardiness and colour for your needs, plus the optimim growing conditions and after-care.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 13:33 »
I think I'd go for English lavender (e.g. Hidcote, Mustead) rather than French lavender.

But as GG says, look for a local-ish nursery or lavender farm online and see what they suggest.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 14:47 »
Agree with Yorkie - never lost an English lavender but down to 1 French one now (out of 3.)

Certainly a good idea to get some local advice for your area as to exact choice though.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 15:22 »
Thanks chaps  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 18:15 »
I bought (miniscule!) Munstead plug plants from van Meuwan (in Spring, not sure I would risk it in the run up to Autumn, but I suppose they would put some growth on and might be ready for a planting by late-ish Spring), grew them on for a season, and planted out following Spring.

In my case I needed a couple of hundred and baulked at the cost.  The tiny plug plants are 20p each here:

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/flower-plants/cottage-garden-plants/lavendula-angustifolia-munstead/61045VM

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 18:40 »
Lavender propagates very easily from stem cuttings, and right now is a good time to try it if you can find a lavender plant you like the look of growing well locally (and a friendly owner of course!)

I won't try to choose a link because Gurgling "propagate lavender" will provide you with lots of information about how to do it - could be an option for you.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 20:12 »
Monty did it in one of the two most recent Gardeners' World programmes (iPlayer?).

sion01

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:04 »
Munstead is the shortest and much hardier then the french.I lost a lovely hedge of french lavender last year and have also bought plug plants of Munstead which will hopefully be strong enough to be planted in their final position next year.I love the french lavender though and have bought two plants and planted in pots,im hopeing that they wont mind a dry cold as opposed to the wet cold they were getting in the garden soil.Heres hopeing.

You could also try cotton lavender,Santolina chamaecyparissus.Thats hardy and really easy from propogate from semi ripe cuttings in summer .To confuse you a little bit more I also use hyssop and winter savoury as edging with my herbs as they are quite easy to germinate from seed so get a lot cheaply(ish) which is great.With the advantage of that you can cook with them :DBut be careful ,there is a plant called Hedge Hyssop which isn't a hyssop at all,its Gratiola officinalis which is highly toxic.Thank God for latin.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:43 »
Or Catmint?

East Ruston Old Vicarage:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:44 by Kristen »

xx
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 11:30
by p6t6
xx
Lavender

Started by Brummie on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 13:57
by Brummie
xx
Lavender

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2015, 18:39
by Aunt Sally
clip
Lavender

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 09:38
by New shoot

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 40 queries.