Makeshift greenhouse

• 6 Replies

matt80

Makeshift greenhouse
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:35 »
I've seen some mini greenhouse type things in some shops (Wilko's and garden centres) that are basically a metal framed shelf system with a clear plastic cover that goes over the top.

Has anyone used these? Are they any good? I don't have a greenhouse and was hoping to find some suitable (and cheap!) alternative

noshed

Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:40 »
I've just bought another one of these (Poundland £9.99). I've found them very useful for bringing stuff on after they've germinated in the house and before taking them up to my plot.
Last year I grew loads of geraniums from seed as well, which made good presents.
The plastic covers go a bit after a couple of years but you can get replacements.
The only thing you have to do is tie them down well and put heavy things on the bottom shelf.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:40 »
I got one a few weeks ago from Woollies, four tiered job for £14.99, zip up cover. Easy to set up too

I put mine in the greenhouse cos it's as windy as hell where I live on top of a hill but you could set it up in a spare room near a window etc. I think it would be ok outdoors if you could lash it down but the cover doesn't look too robust, but I have this week seen some with thicker green covers which might be better than mine which is clear, thin placcy

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:59 »
I would definately get one. I had a four tier one before getting the greenhouse. They are great if your limited on space, but be warned mine liked to take flying lessons in the wind :lol:

Scribbler

Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 13:31 »
See posts elsewhere. You need to put bricks, slabs or sacks of sand in the base, and/or tether to a fence for stability.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

agapanthus

Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 13:56 »
Got a couple from Focus.....they were on special @ £13.00....reduced from about £30. These ones are a lot bigger than the norm....but up here have tied it to the shed AND put eight bricks in the bottom!!!! ;)

Scribbler

Makeshift greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 14:21 »
Aggie - glad to see you're still growing stuff amongst all the rubble. Tell Munty to get a move on!!!

question
New Greenhouse

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:47
by Aidy
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 17:51
by funkydelia
xx
My Greenhouse

Started by Squirrers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 16:24
by mumofstig
xx
greenhouse

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 11:27
by Kristen

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.