A tricky Apple tree problem

• 3 Replies

Grubbypaws

A tricky Apple tree problem
« on: August 07, 2019, 15:11 »
Last year I bought a Norfolk Royal maiden with the intension of making it into an espalier along a small wall. It is grafted on to M26.

I planted it out in spring and cut it to the required height leaving a good selection of buds. Unfortunately I was away in May which was very dry where I live and I thought the tree a goner when I got back. Eventually one bud developed just above the graft but it still only has about 14 leaves. A very healthy bud developed from the root stock which is a lot bigger. My inclination is to let it grow to feed the plant and only cut it back when the plant is dormant. Is this the right thing to do or will it hinder the growth of the Norfolk Royal stem?

Grubbypaws

Re: A tricky Apple tree problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 16:42 »
The grower has got back to me

:(

'I am afraid that by allowing the shoot from the rootstock to grow you have deprived the Norfolk Royal bud of food and moisture. If you had cut off the shoot from the rootstock at the beginning of the season, the Norfolk Royal shoot would have taken all the food and moisture from the roots and would have put on more growth. However, you can still remedy the problem by cutting off the rootstock shoot as near to the stem as possible, and feeding and watering the tree. (I am assuming that, like us, you have had very little rain this summer). The Norfolk Royal shoot still has a little growing season left, and you can start again by training it up and beginning the espalier training next year'

I have posted this for anyone else in a similar situation.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18 »
What should I feed it? I obviously want to help the stem that I have grow as much as possible but I don't want to encourage growth that will by harmed by the arrival of winter. All suggestions welcome  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:38 »
As growth will start slowing down in a few weeks I'd just sprinkle some blood, fish and bone around the tree just to help give it some nutrients.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

clip
apple tree problem

Started by handman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 12:25
by Rampant_Weasel
angry
Apple Tree Problem

Started by Rosser on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 14:39
by Rosser
xx
Apple tree - possible problem?

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 20:18
by Aunt Sally
xx
apple tree problem

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:15
by dmg

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 42 queries.