Chicken and my Cat !!!! Please help

• 12 Replies

Shoegil

« on: May 19, 2008, 13:24 »
Hi

We got 3 lovely hens last week that have made themselves at home and even started laying for us. we do have a problem my 3 year old cat is now refusing to go into the garden even though the chickens are not loose. she is weeing and pooing everywhere and hiding under the table.

Will she get the courage to go into the garden or is there anything I can do to help her ??? she loves the garden and its quite sad.

This morning she sat on a sofa cushion and weed whilst looking at me.......I felt like she was trying to show me she is unhappy ???????

Any help please x

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 13:32 »
hm dunno dont have cats but try looking on the thread already going about chickens and cats maybe some ideas on there.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 13:40 »
No idea how best to help you but i feel for you - that must be awful for you.
Maybe take the cat out with you? Feed it out there? treats? maybe in a cat basket near the chickens like you would do to introduce chickens to each other??

Vember

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 13:46 »
Do you have patio doors???

Could you put cat treat down on one side and chuck treat down the other so that your cat can see the chickens??

We have 6 cats and although at first the kittens were frightened they now bumble along ok togeather just took a bit of time, also you have to be calm round the hens if your on edge as your cat goes near the hen's the cat will pick up on that.

Hope that makes sence??????

Hope you work something out

Shoegil

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 13:59 »
Thanks for the hints, I think she was just used to being top cat......maybe its her way of sulking............I thought she was made of tougher stuff

Will just have to get a litter tray for the moment and hope she gets braver !! .......so silly we have a large garden so doesnt even need to go near them !!!

x

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 14:08 »
We had similar problems when we moved near the seaside. One of our cats was nearly caught by a big seagull and took to toileting in the house.

I'm afraid it wasn't sorted (we tried everything) until we moved. Your cat is scared stiff and is marking the house as hers.

I'd keep the chickens in a run at the far end of the garden, perhaps even blank the side facing the house so that the cat feels she can wander safely in the garden.

After your cat has regained her confidence, you can try letting the hens roam. Hopefully she'll realise they're not going to attack her and normal peeing will resume.

The brutal truth is you have a difficult problem. Once the house stinks the cat treats it as a loo anyway. You can get a urine neutraliser from suppliers to care homes - a carpet cleaning company my be able to point you in the right direction. About £40 I think for 5 litres. We vaxed and vaxed.

It may well come down to a choice between one or the other. Sorry.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

noshed

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 14:57 »
Could you make the cat a little den in the garden which she can't see the chickens from?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 17:51 »
Quote from: "john"

Once the house stinks the cat treats it as a loo anyway. You can get a urine neutraliser from suppliers to care homes - a carpet cleaning company my be able to point you in the right direction. About £40 I think for 5 litres. We vaxed and vaxed.

Might be worth trying white vinegar to clean up the marking - it works for puppies, completely removes the smell so they don't keep weeing in the same place.

My cat hasn't been seen once in the garden since the chickens arrived - but he has maintained 'his' space in the house.  Perhaps lots of TLC while he's in the house will help yours?  Reassurance and security count for a lot to most animals ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Belinda

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 18:01 »
Biological washing liquid diluted works well to remove the smell as far as the animal is concerned and so stops them revisiting. I always use it for the odd accident with the dogs.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 18:26 »
My cat was terrified of our hens for a while. He would not go out unless I went out with him. He got used to them after a few weeks, though he still keeps out of their way. They wait outside the cat flap for him to poke his head out so he hits the ground running.

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 19:08 »
our cat had been attacked by another cat just before we got our chooks so she wouldn't go out because of that.

she used a litter tray during that time.

she started going out gingerly a few weeks ago and the last 2 or 3 weeks has taken an interest in the chooks.
today i was working on the run and she was creeping round stalking them through the mesh.
i think she's cured !!
familiarity breeds contempt.

rob

Shoegil

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 21:37 »
well she has been using the tray tonight so at least she is not ill or anything.

She has sat on the window cill and gone out just by the back door....so fingers crossed it will just take some time xxxx

dizzyfairy

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12 »
sounds mean but our cat was the same a few months ago and shes the same age.  in fairness our chooks would chase her given the chance.  we fenced them off and after a few throwings out-the cat that is- she realised they couldnt get her now she sits on the coop to watch them and sunbathe

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Un well chicken

Started by gayleshort on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 19:33
by gayleshort
xx
ill chicken

Started by wells101 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 22:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help, which is the right chicken?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.