Yellow skin round eyes?

• 4 Replies

Flowerpower136

Yellow skin round eyes?
« on: November 21, 2010, 16:55 »
Noticed today that Paxo has distinctly yellow skin around her eyes, and the skin that joins her beak at the sides of her face also looks yellow.

If it wasn't for that, I'd say she was fine.  She is moulting, but eating and everything.

Immediately thinking jaundice, liver failure, death, etc etc. :(

Anyone any ideas?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Yellow skin round eyes?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 17:22 »
how long has she been like this (some chickens can have yellow skin).
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 19:33 »
Does you chicken eat corn or maize....? Think how yellow the skin is on a 'corn fed' chicken in Tesco's.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 15:41 »
I noticed it for the first time yesterday.  It is really quite a distinct change in her appearance, so think it's a recent development, or I would have noticed it sooner.

There is no difference in her behaviour that I can see.  Had a peep at her vent earlier, and it's nice pale pink, so she's not yellow all over.  Comb is still nice and red, legs are white. 
Its just a though someone has drawn yellow rings round her eyes, and touched in at the corner of her beak.  It's really strange.

She does get corn in the afternoon.  She's tucking into it right now.  But she's always had that since I've had her.  She's an ex batt I've had for just over 18 months.

If a chicken has jaundice, would all the skin be yellow?  Wondering if it's some sort of deficiency?  But the others are all OK, and nothing has changed in feed apart from they are getting a bit of poultry spice at the moment. 

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 17:30 »
Found this earlier posting, and it is identical to what has happened to Paxo.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=43252.msg509021#msg509021

I've had a PM with Amanda, and am delighted to hear that her Mavis is still thriving, and the yellowing remains a mystery.

My gamekeeper friend tells me that if liver was the problem, Paxo wouldn't last much more than a day.  Well she's still with us, jumping up for food.  Not ill at all.  Just yellow :D

Another suggestion was that she might be putting down a bit of fat for winter which is yellow in corn fed birds.  Paxo is exbatt scrawny, and whilst she does have corn, I wouldn't have said she was 'corn fed'.

Anyway, fingers crossed, she will go the same route as Mavis, and carry on fine regardless.

xx
Do they get dry skin?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 09:03
by joyfull
xx
Red skin

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 07:45
by Mum2mj
xx
Flakey Skin?

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 17:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Red, sore skin

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 12:45
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 37 queries.