Basic Question I think

• 3 Replies

Jae Dawn

Basic Question I think
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:16 »
Hi,

Sorry to keep bothering everyone but finally have found a breeder that has Polands and she said that next week they would be ready to come to me.  :lol:

so so so excited!!

But I can't remember a blasted thing I learned 8 months ago at my chicken course GRRR!

I have an eglu so before they come I was going to clean everything and get set up from what I remember ( which is very very vague sorry) I should wash with soap and water and a dash of vinegar?  then put paper down with some wood shavings is this where I put Diatom?  Think I was also to put shredded strips of newspaper in laying nest area.  And in the run area to put wood chips natural ones that is!

Please let me know if I have this completely wrong feel like I have read tons of stuff and one says do this and then another says no do that the breeder said to use Elephant grass ?  Looked like straw to me but didn't look dusty.  I know not to put anything dusty.  I have read around her something about Hempcore or Rapport or something like that where do you put that in the run area or in the bottom of the floor of the coop. 

Think I am just getting scared and trying to rethink things!  Thanks for your help!

Fisherman

Re: Basic Question I think
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:45 »
Hi Jae
I use Jeys fluid mixed with water to clean the coop.

Diatom goes in the house bedding on the coop floor and in the nest boxes. Dust the ends of the perch as well. Some people mix it into a paste and then spread it on the end of the perch.

I use Hemcore on the coop floor and in the nest boxes and find it really good as it's absorbent and easily rots down on the compost heap. It can be purchased from horse feed places.

Wood chip will be OK on the floor. Grass is best if you have a suitable area.

Frontline for cats / kittens is worth getting old of just in case your new hens come with a few friends (lice) :ohmy:. Just one or 2 drops on the chickens skin at the back of the neck and that will sort them out. Don't tell the supplier its for chickens though as it's not been tested on them and they may not sell it to you. Loads of people on this site swear by it. Its the only product that I have used that worked effectively

Good luck and enjoy.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 14:46 »
I have never cleaned my eglu with anything stronger than a tiny bit of washing up liquid.  They just don't need anything stronger.  I would never use Jeyes in it !!!

Hemcore or Aubiose in the drippings tray and in the nest box (with a sheet of kitchen towel to stop it going through the drainage hole like an egg timer) is excellent and dust free.

I put a light sprinkle if Diatom under the dropping stray and in any joints in the plastic, also on the ends of the roosting bars whether plastic or wooden type.

Eglus are simplicity itself to keep clean.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 15:26 »
mine just gets washed although I use a vanodine solution - mixed up in the dose stated for general cleaning. I prefer to use this as I use my eglu as a broody coup  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
A Basic Question

Started by parson on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 21:13
by meterman
xx
Probably one of the most basic questions....

Started by TheModfather on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 16:14
by poultrygeist
xx
Basic equipment

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 12:32
by bastonjock
question
Basic sanitary regime

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 16:06
by beulah59

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.