Freezing without blanching?

• 3 Replies

LottieSue

Freezing without blanching?
« on: August 20, 2011, 14:56 »
Having managed to break my ankle last week, and resigned to spending at least another 4-6 weeks in plaster hopping around on crutches, I had been consoling myself with the thought that there wasn't much sowing/planting I was desperate to do.

OH is watering the tomatoes/pots etc in the garden (when nagged!), and the weather has been so showery lately I wasn't worried about the plot needing watering.

However I had forgotten about the runner bean/french bean glut! I plant loads cos we both love them, and usually freeze loads. OH is fine about picking them (in fact I wouldnt really trust him to pick much else than runners and raspberries!) and I can sit and prep veg all day, but there's no way I can manage blanching - and I cant expect him to do it after every thing else he's had to take on.

To get to the point - is it worth freezing them anyway?  Or should I just give away what I can?

Sorry to go on - at least I haven't inflicted my battles with the NHS on you all... yet!

Getting a wheelchair next week so I can accompany OH to the plot and direct operations - more nagging opportunities!

Sue

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Freezing without blanching?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 15:11 »
oh poor you  :( hope it's not too painful :ohmy:

You can keep them for about 8 weeks without blanching, after that they start to deteriorate.

Idea! Hows about everytime you cook beans for tea, prep at least twice as many as normal, and start to cook take out the excess once the water has boiled for a minute drain/plunge into cold water/freeze. Just a little extra work at the time but will get a few blanched ones in there, as well as the unblanched.

LottieSue

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 15:33 »
Lesley - you are a star! Why didn't I think of that.
Have just mentioned this brilliant idea to OH - he said he would put it to the commitee!(His idea of a joke)

Only good thing about ankle is that it has hardly hurt at all - they kept trying to force painkillers on me at A&E cos they are usually very painful.

Anyway beware wearing flipflops on wet campsite shower block floors - lethal!

Thanks again

Sue

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 16:25 »
are they going to give you a walking plaster in a week or 2? Have broken mine twice and have 3 pins in to keep it strong so understand what you are going through - mine never hurt either (although when I sprained it the pain was really bad  ::)).
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Blanching and freezing...........

Started by Willie_Eckerslike on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 17:45
by grinling
xx
Blanching vegetables for freezing

Started by Dogstar on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 09:12
by ladybird
xx
blanching

Started by hermon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 17:36
by John
xx
Blanching

Started by MyAchingBack on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 13:21
by aelf

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.