Raspberries

• 5 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« on: November 27, 2013, 22:33 »
Na then.  Just had my delivery, well earlier today not right now :) considering it's 22:20, of raspberry canes.  5 of Malling Minerva and 5 of Autumn Treasure.  I have been doing a lot of reading on't tinterweb  and getting some pretty confusing and contrary info.

I get the picture that Autumn Treasure is self supporting and quite a decent late season berry.  However, Malling Minerva being a summer cane, according to some does require support.  Problem is, I'm seeing forums and sites that say they too don't require support.  Does anyone on here have either of these canes and if so, how do you care for them?

Thanks in advance. :)

ididntdoit

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50 »
The general rule is that summer fruiting raspberries do need support but rules are meant to be broken. If you grow them in a line of single canes then yes, they definitely need support. If you grow them as a clump then in many cases you can get away with no support - or only supporting the outer ones.

You've picked a good variety.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 14:02 »
No matter what I look for re- reviews, there is always conflicting info and it can be a nightmare. I now go with the majority verdict and hope for the best. For your first year, you will get new growth from your single rows and (for summer ones) you keep the best ones for the following year, whereas you cut down all the autumn canes. You will eventually end up with a wider growth area for both types. Whether they need support will depend on how well they are grown and perform for you. Personally, I would go for support for both because it gives you the option to tie in any vigorous autumn canes produced and also helps with the aeration of clumps of canes to help prevent disease.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 14:33 »
I'll 2nd that GG some of my Autumn canes ended up nearly on the ground this year,t'were a devil to pick the fruit & far too heavy & strong to tie up retrospectively.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 14:46 »
My Autumn Bliss certainly break the rules because they persist in growing to up to 7' despite most other folk insisting they only reach about 5'.  :wacko:

When in doubt, hedge your bets - be prepared to stake them the first year, and if it does turn out to be necessary you could then rig up a stronger and more permanent supporting structure for future years.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 21:20 »
Cheers all.  I did inherit some rather sizable lengths of wood, so will just do what the majority seems to do and build a simple support frame to make life easier in future.

xx
Dug up me raspberries!

Started by Debbie D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 20, 2009, 19:22
by Leedsniner
xx
raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 08:54
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberries already

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:48
by RJR_38
xx
Raspberries

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 18:41
by gobs

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 39 queries.