Help with sediment in beer please

• 7 Replies

grinling

Help with sediment in beer please
« on: February 09, 2017, 14:58 »
We bottle the homebrew as the keg leaks, but get a little sediment in the bottom. Is there a way I can get sediment free beer? We decant the beer into a glass at the mo.
Thank you

Barry C

• Experienced Member
Re: Help with sediment in beer please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 16:09 »
Leave your bottles to mature, the higher the gravity the longer you should leave it. If you're drinking your beers young the sediment might not have settled out fully. I always leave mine for a minimum of two month and find very little sediment rises during pouring. Some that are over six months old the sediment stays in the bottle but rinses out easily.
You say you decant to a glass, always the best way as you can see any sediment rising, if you're drinking straight from the bottle you'll always have problems stirring up the sediment.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 18:58 »
It gets left for about 6 months and we are now going over to clear glass a s brown bottles are harder to see through.

Would beer finings help?

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 22:26 »
We bottle the homebrew as the keg leaks, but get a little sediment in the bottom. Is there a way I can get sediment free beer? We decant the beer into a glass at the mo.
Thank you

Are you actually saying that you can decant and get sediment free (i.e. the beer has cleared)? But that you can't keep it sediment free when 'swigging from the bottle? If that's the case you've produced a great bottle conditioned beer and that's how it works. If you want less sediment in the bottle then rack into a separate container before bottling and agitate as little as possible so as not to introduce any oxygen that will cause the residual yeast to reproduce aerobically. The other thing you might try is different strains of yeast (although this will change the flavour of the final product) - some sediments and stick to the bottom of the bottle, whereas others cloud up the bottle much more readily.

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54 »
It gets left for about 6 months and we are now going over to clear glass a s brown bottles are harder to see through.

Would beer finings help?

Wouldn't use clear bottles to avoid 'skunking' unless they are kept out of the light, if left in the light for any length of time it could well go off  :(

grinling

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:16 »
the bottles are in the airing cupboard at the mo, but I have just made some crates for storing them in. Might put a piece of ply on the front and the name plate on that.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 15:35 »
the bottles are in the airing cupboard at the mo, but I have just made some crates for storing them in. Might put a piece of ply on the front and the name plate on that.

Could you share the design (pics) of your crates?
Im really interested in knocking some up myself as I like to bottle for several months befor drinking also :D

stompy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 13:34 »
As said, if you use clear bottles you must keep them out of the light, if not the AA will deteriate and at best you will have a funny tasting brew and at worst it will taste like rotting grass clippings.

Have been All Grain brewing for about 7 years now and always bottle my beer in brown glass or plastic bottles.
Only time i would keg it is if i had a courneliouse keg.

Andy

xx
Wines sat on sediment

Started by scabs on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 18:18
by johnnyboy
xx
Fluffy Sediment

Started by crazypeanut on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 20:16
by Lardman
xx
Another sediment question

Started by GYO Girl on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 12:48
by crh75
xx
Avoiding sediment in last few bottles

Started by GYO Girl on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 06:30
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 39 queries.