Pallet Composter

• 8 Replies

Willow_Warren

Pallet Composter
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:10 »
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right section.

After some discussion my boyfriend has agreed to help me build a composter (well he's agreed we can and is supplying some pallets from his work).

He asked me if I wanted solid pallets or slatted ones - I wasn't sure which would be best?  I know compost needs airation, but also doesn't want to dry out...?

Any advice?

I've more compost research to do... I have a large proportion of bunny & chicken waste and not sure it will be balanced...

Thanks

Hannah

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Pallet Composter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 13:20 »
We only seem to get the slatted ones which Brian used to make my composter, but some people line the sides with old cardboard.  I never have done though, most things for composting don't fall through the gaps anyway.
COMPOST BINS 2.JPG

savbo

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 14:17 »
the latest guidance I saw suggested solid sides are better than slatted. having said that, loads of us on here have made bins from slatted pallets and got good results.

A source of paper or card would be good to balance the nitrogen-rich pet waste

finally - keep it simple - I've hammered some posts into the ground on 3 sides and slid the pallets over those, then wired them and a 'freestanding' pallet together.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 15:02 »
Thanks for the advice.

I will have to see what he can bring home for me...

There is quite a lot of hay in the bunny waste (more so in winter that summer), some newspaper can easily go in there was well as that is the base of their bed...

I'm looking foward to tidying that area and getting the compost bin sorted... (ok I'm looking forward to it being finished, it is currently rather overgrown!)

Hannah x

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 16:22 »
I have a pallet compost bin for all the thuggish stalks of brassicas and such like.  I have attempted to line it with plastic from opened out fertiliser bags and cardboard as it does lose heat and moisture!  I cover the top with a folded up tarp weighed down with bricks. It loses moisture quickly as the sides are open so that's when I decided to line it.  Best do that first  :D  It works though and I've made lots of compost in it, but it's not as quick as the daleks.

Make sure you just have four screws (one at each corner), or a clip of some sort to ensure you can get the front pallet off to remove your compost. My daft husband put hundreds of ruddy screws in it and it took me an age to get the thing off  :wacko:

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 17:55 »
Shred the newspaper before you put it in the composter.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 20:48 »

I made a three trap compost bin from slatted pallets.  I rip sawed down surplus pallets and fitted them between the existing slats so the air can still circulate but the compost shouldn't fall out.

Hope this helps.    Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38 »
My pallet compost bin got made a couple of weeks back!

I asked for the front the be clipped or hinged in some way but I was told "a couple of screws won't take much to get out!"  >:(  It doesn't look anywhere near a neat as yours GrannieAnnie but my pallets are all slightly different sizes (best I didn't complain) so a little more cobbled together!

Anyhow as we'd been collecting things up for a bit it was half full in straight away!  I was suprised how much the shredded hedge cuttings had started to break down whilst in a bag in the boiler house in just 2-3 weeks!  Trying to put a variety of "greens" and "browns" in it but not really sure of the balance yet, it's only early days - live and learn!

H :)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50 »
A bit of a tip: fix the front pallet (door) of the composter in place with plastic cable-ties, which you can easily snip off and then replace when you need to.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:52 by Welsh Merf »
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

wireless
composter

Started by Bungle on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 05:45
by Growster...
xx
DIY Tumbling Composter

Started by Gandan57 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 08:58
by Will1983
xx
homemade composter

Started by samnorfolk on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 14:24
by samnorfolk
xx
pic of homemade composter

Started by BestBreast on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 22:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 47 queries.