Three bed pallet bin

• 2 Replies

wolveryeti

Three bed pallet bin
« on: August 29, 2020, 11:27 »
Currently have a single bin made of four pallets lashed together with cable ties.

I want to add another two bins to put the finer stuff into. I will probably just lash some pallets to the existing structure to create the two additional bins.

What do folks think? Will that give good results? Should I line the other bins with plastic to increase heat trapping?

snowdrops

Re: Three bed pallet bin
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 15:35 »
Sounds like a good plan, I currently have 5 bins in a row made from mainly scaffolding boards & the last made from the remains of my old shed but lined with phenolic foam insulation. This last is a tad bigger than the others & I start composting into that & then move/turn it in to bin 2 & so on until in bed 5 it is more than ready to use.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Three bed pallet bin
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 21:00 »
I have 3 slatted side bins that I line with split open compost bags.   I put them up the sides, black side out and tuck them through the gaps.  Then as the bin fills, I use more that I put against the sides and fold over the top of the heap as I fill.  Eventually I need another bag or 2 to make a lid, which I weigh down with bricks.  The extra heat really does cook things fast.  I found that using these bins unlined took forever to rot anything. 

I know the heap needs air, but just overlapping bags does leave gaps, so plenty seems to get in.  You  might need to be a bit more careful if you do a proper job and staple plastic sheeting on the bin.  There are advantages to being a bit slapdash sometimes  :)

xx
Pallet decking

Started by Chaz1985 on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 20:18
by Kevin67
xx
Pallet fence

Started by teflon on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 21:53
by NigelB
xx
Pallet shed?

Started by stickmeup on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 19:04
by Baldy
xx
Pallet collars

Started by GraciesGran on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 09:25
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 39 queries.